What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
The Claims Legal Audit Manager is responsible for directing a team of legal auditors in the review, legal analysis, and processing of law firm invoices in accordance with Markel’s Litigation Management Philosophy, Guidelines and Billing Standards. This associate will be responsible for collaborating with internal and external stakeholders (claims handlers, insureds, law firms, and brokers) in the course of legal invoice and claim file reviews. The ideal candidate will drive performance, facilitate employee learning and development, and play a key role in maximizing employees’ contributions. This role will also focus on improving relationships with our law firms through education and transparency of our philosophies and principles. We are looking for a strong leader who is skilled in applying innovative ideas to streamline processes and promote our high standards for legal services.
- Manage a team of experienced legal professionals in the course of legal invoice review
- Monitor daily and weekly productivity for consistency and maintain expected processing time standards
- Measure and analyze invoice volume and productivity on weekly and monthly intervals and share observations and trends with the team and senior management
- Work collaboratively in a team environment, with on-site and remote direct reports, to support the overall objectives and strategies of the Claims department
- Ensure the team’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are consistently followed
- Maintain deep knowledge and familiarity with corporate Claims quality standards inclusive of Markel’s Litigation Management Philosophy, Guidelines and Billing Standards
- Engage in and maintain relationships with Markel Claims associates, law firms, insureds and other vendor partners
- Understand legal services necessary for a variety of product lines
- Stay current with legal trends, regulations and court rulings pertaining to legal invoice reviews
- Review and analyze legal invoices and appeals using experience-gained knowledge of legal fee schedules and litigation management practices customary in the legal and insurance field
- Demonstrate sound business judgment when proposing new ideas and evaluating escalated issues
- Share information and knowledge openly with claims associates and law firms to harmonize our standards for legal services
- Recognize and track billing trends and share with the team and senior Claims management
- Develop auditor calibration sessions and other training opportunities
- Continual development of your own skills and knowledge base
Education, Certification and Work Experience:
- Bachelor and law degrees from accredited schools
- Bar admission in good standing
- 3+ years of supervisory experience, including performance management
- 5+ years as a practicing attorney preferred
- Insurance or professional liability experience a plus
Skill Sets and Abilities
- Strategic thinker with natural curiosity and creative problem solving abilities
- Encourage professional development of direct reports and exhibit inspirational leadership qualities
- Proven ability with high volume workloads in a fast-paced, lean environment
- Encourage a culture of perpetual learning and collective intelligence
- Exceptional organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills: ability to read and interpret data; communicate key points to management
- Quick study of e-billing software programs and document management systems
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Word)
- Effectively manage remote associates and work collaboratively in a virtual team
- Prepare and deliver effective presentations to management, key partners, associates and team members
- Strong desire for continuous improvement
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.