What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Serve as the primary contact with Mid South retail/wholesale partners. As a complement to existing relationships across Markel, this position works to steward and cultivate partner relationship with the overriding goal to increase profitable premium and market penetration with retail/wholesale producers. This position is a perfect fit for a current Markel associate that possesses a natural promotion, sales presence and has existing relationships with retail and/or wholesale brokers. The ideal candidate would like to target and build on a marketing career.
The primary purpose of this position is to maximize broker/agent engagement, revenue and profitability by driving customer loyalty. Leverage company brand to build awareness of Markel as a world-class insurance company. Work with clients to insure Markel Mid South is relevant within their organization and uncover additional opportunities to grow our business. As a complement to existing relationships across Markel, the Marketing Manager/Director works to steward and cultivate the relationship with the overriding goal to increase profitable premium and market penetration. Develop and implement marketing activities to build the reputation of Markel’s brand. Maintain high visibility with Mid South clients and regional management, underwriting, and marketing team. Direct supervision of the regional marketing employee, as well as plan and execute producer conferences.
- Build and maintain relationships with regional underwriters, management team and product line leaders.
- Serve as liaison to facilitate exceptional communications and interaction between and among regional management, underwriters and assigned national producers. Troubleshoot, mediate and/or involve Markel management or staff as appropriate to ensure partnership issues are consistently and continually addressed.
- Coordinate all assigned producer visits with the regional management team, marketing managers and underwriters to ensure an effective marketing presence.
- Actively search for opportunities to develop business for existing and new products with retail/wholesale producers.
- Create, coordinate and execute custom marketing strategies with the regional underwriters and management team that will focus on achieving underwriting profit and growth
- Provide consistent and effective communication to management regarding sales and marketing progress, forecasts and results
- Research and analyze the needs and trends of the retail admitted marketplace to ensure our relevance within assigned national producers.
- Increase visibility and brand awareness of Markel.
- Promote cross marketing and renewal retention with retail/wholesale producers.
- 5+ years of current experience in the commercial insurance industry required.
- Intimate knowledge of the concepts of marketing including sales promotion, sales conferences, advertising, & strategic planning required.
- Current experience in supervision to include performance management.
- Superior communication and people skills, team based decision making in an entrepreneurial environment required.
- Strong relationship development and negotiation skills required.
- Understanding of Property & Casualty underwriting and claims, with actual underwriting experience preferred.
- BA / BS Degree in Business, Risk & insurance, or Marketing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience with Internet-based insurance systems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.