Business Development Managers are responsible for successfully maximizing sales, and promoting and protecting the brand. Boar’s Head Business Development Managers not only drive retail sales and performance, but are trusted consultants, coaches, leaders and partners in the success of the company, Local Purveyors and their retail customers. The characteristics of successful Business Development Managers go much deeper than possessing specific skills – even without a reporting relationship, they must be individuals who lead and collaborate with many groups of people across both Boar’s Head and retail organizations. They have the drive and passion for learning about our products, enthusiastically sharing this information withretail customers and Local Purveyors, following through and thinking ahead, and continuously implementing strategies and solutions that drive results.
- Foster retail relationships
- Execute on developed strategic road-maps developed for each Division based Retailer.
- Assist with development of strategic plans by assigned Retailer (Annually and Quarterly Business Plans) that leverage Advertising & Promotion, New Item Introduction, Distribution and Program voids with Consumer / Service based initiatives (BTG Training, PA Events, Selling Event, etc.).
- Collaborate with Marketing, Training, Cat Leadership, BSM and Business Analysis in setting goals, measuring and monitoring, course correcting, post event analysis & effectiveness.
- Assist with development and ownership of retail “Playbooks” for all assigned accounts and effectively communicate to BSM, LPs and Retailers to include all aspects of merchandising execution and implementation at Store level. (Product / Program, Placement, Promotion, Procurement, POP)
- Understanding and ability to convey the “LP Model” and “LP Requirements” as established in the “Characteristics of an Ideal LP,” the Minimum Requirements, and the Vision Process.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the business of distribution through all facets of sales, finance and operational systems.
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with Local Purveyors to build business and sustain growth.
- Ability to identify gaps and opportunities of customers and develop plans to fill the gaps to grow their businesses. Demonstrate both “hunting” and “farming” skill-sets relative to driving sales.
- Assist with strategic market evaluations for growth opportunities and maintain competent and proactive account management.
- Establish and consistently sustain communication with each LP in order to develop credibility through motivation and support of their business efforts, needs and concerns.
- Foster relationships with lead retail merchants as well as subordinate staff.
- Monitor sales and profitability through the effective use of distribution channels and category management.
- Maximize the effectiveness of all LP marketing activities (national and local) through implementation and execution at the retail and deli associate level.
- 5 to 7 years of Retail Management experience in national or regional multi-unit retailers
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to foster an environment of trust and respect
- A critical thinker – one who can understand the mindset of a business owner
- Strong strategic and tactical planning ability
- Highly developed organizational, project and time management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and forge partnerships across a diverse population of individuals and companies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office