At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Manager, Brand Communications - Respiratory (Corporate Affairs) in Wilmington, DE, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca holds a unique position in respiratory disease, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), with a range of differentiated potential medicines in development by leveraging novel combinations, biologics and devices. The pipeline also has a number of promising assets in inflammatory and autoimmune diseases within areas such as psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, systemic lupus and rheumatoid arthritis
As a Manager, Brand Communications, you will develop, implement, and manage strategic communications, projects and budgets in support of the successful achievement of Corporate Affairs strategy for the Respiratory therapy area. The role is for a highly engaged, self – starting communications specialist who will help develop and recommend communications strategies, represent them to internal stakeholders and effectively execute and deliver them.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for developing and managing strategic communications plans, projects and programs to support the effective and successful achievement of Respiratory strategic plans.
Ensure the effective integration of internal and external communications in projects and programs
Serve as the primary point of contact for select internal brand team clients
Provide media relations support to key team members, including preparing media responses, issues management, and internal & sales communications materials, and other home office campaigns
Effectively navigate formal and informal internal review processes
Ensure the effective pull through of the Corporate Affairs integrated model and collaborative effectively with peers and colleagues both within Corporate Affairs and across the business.
Oversight of PR agencies to ensure the delivery of projects and programs within budget and on schedule.
Manage and monitor budgets associated with projects utilizing AZ's budgeting systems. Manage accruals and agency invoices; review budgets monthly; adjust budgets as needed. Identify and quickly report significant budget variances.
- BS/BA degree in Communications, Marketing or a related field
- 5+ years Communications experience
- Effective communicator and story teller: written, verbal and presenting to groups
- Experience managing PR agencies and managing multi-faceted budgets
- Experienceworking with senior leaders internally and externally, to enhance message development and communication delivery
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical/ healthcare industry & environment
- Working knowledge and experience with marketing objectives and business strategies
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to drive pace within a team
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build strategic working relationships
- Amenable to travel and off hours (late night/early morning) and weekend responsibilities (including travel, late night, off-hour and weekend responsibilities)
- Experience with issues management
- Experience working in or on behalf of patient advocacy or professional association
- Healthcare PR or agency experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly matrixed corporate environment is strongly preferred.
- Experience reviewing or applying for grants or corporate funding
- Experience managing corporate responsibility programs and initiatives
- Knowledge and direct experienceworking with patient advocacy groups to conceive and deliver programs and projects