Karma Automotive creates expressive and beautiful luxury cars that are environmentally conscious. We deliver them with personal attention to customers in the global marketplace. Our customers expect high levels of personalization and customization and we intend to deliver on that promise. If these commitments excite you, we would love to talk.
The Manager, Brake Engineering is a working manager, responsible for leading the design engineering team and acting as a product engineer for Brakes Systems. As a supervisor of the design engineering team, this role ensures the objectives of the team are met andwork processes are continuously improved. They evaluate designer workloads and capacity, assign and prioritze work, review progress, and evaluate results. Assist engienering manager and program manager to align engineering work with program milestones. The position also act as a design release engineer working on the DFMEA team, designing new componenents, and aligning with vendors and manufacturing plant to launch new products or product changes. This position is located in our Irvine CA facility.
- Assists in developing engineering processes, procedures, methods, standards, and tool selection
- Lead engineering team for current and future vehicle programs in Engineering Projects
- Assist in problem solving activities
- Investigate brake system advancement, other improvement technologies, and cost-benefit analyses
- Utilize modeling software, such as Adams and/or Mathlab Simulink as required
- Support technical lead for brake system architecture, kinematics, compliance, and dynamics
- Engineer systems to meet durability, strength, design, and manufacturing requirements
- Perform optimization for performance improvements wherever possible
- Supervise activities of direct reports (including performance appraisals, timesheets, and other administrative tasks)
- Suppport development / test strategy and timing plan to ensure capatibility with overall program; monitor resources asrequired to minimize risk; support alternate plans as required
- Ensure system meets certification requirements for FMVSS and ECE. Support with data & testing
- Provide strategic input and may make hiring/disciplinary decisions
- Knowledgable in engineering design processes throughout product life cycle (concept, development, product support, end of life)
- Represent KARMA interests in professional groups such as SAE,ASME, as well as represent the product team within the company;
- Support off-site demonstrations, field trials, and launches
- Support prototype and production assembly events at domestic or international locations
- Add valuable insight & knowleddge into Product Safety flow down from system matrix, FMEA development, PFMEA support, and control plan
- Coordinate work with engineers, designers, purchasing, quality, finance, technicians, manufacturing, and supplier in support of exsiting products
- Meet quality improvement objectives through component design, process control, problem-solving techniques, supplier engagement, and/or assembly instruction;
- Meet all performance, packaging, cost and timing objectives;
- Support as required, any required chassis tuning program for brake systems;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills in a team environment
- Comfortable communicating with Suppliers and internal leadership.
- Familiarity with;
- Engineering processes: GD&T, tolerance stack-up, DFMEA, FEA, and DOE;
- 3D modeling, drawing creation, detailed tolerance stack-ups;
- Design review leadership skills are strongly recommended. Relevant industry organizations such as SAE, ASME, etc.;
- Regen Brake System, Electrical System, CAN/ Network Communication;
- Ideal candidate would be able to help facilitate DFMEA process for foundation drum brake products;
- Understanding of designing parts for stamping, casting, welding, machining, and forging a big plus.
- 10+ years combined experience in Brake System development, component design, and release;
- BS Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical Preferred)
- Experience in direct management of people is desired, but not required if there is some demonstrated success in informal people management or mentoring.
- Above experience in engineering in the global and domestic automotive industry preferred. Knowledge of the product line and related technologies, as well as, knowledge of brakes and braking systems.
- Approximately 10-15% Travel required to domestic & international locations.
- Strong automotive aptitude in Chassis/Brake Systems, Brake Controls, Vehicle Development, Chassis/Brake Testing;
- Casting, Material Properties, and packaging experience preferred
- Experience with vehicle dynamics instrumentation, set-up and analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues to senior management in formal and informal settings;
- Strong interpersonal skills with teamwork mindset; able to handle stressful situations with composure
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 3001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015)