Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Their mission is to enable their customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. They help their customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through their premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – they offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Within Thermo Fisher's $9B Specialty Diagnostics Group is the Transplant Diagnostics (TDX) business (also known as One Lambda), the worldwide leader in HLA (human leukocyte antigen) typing and antibody detection assays, known for its commitment to quality, service and innovation. Founded in 1984 by Dr. Paul Teraski, a pre-eminent researcher in the field of transplantation, One Lambda made its mark as a pioneer in transplant diagnostics. One Lambda's tests are used by transplant centers for tissue typing, primarily to determine the compatibility of donors and recipients pre-transplant, and to detect the presence of antibodies that can lead to transplant rejection. Another recent acquisition of Thermo Fisher, Linkage Biosciences, brings molecular diagnostic testing capabilities for complex genetic testing, bringing a broader and deeper range of products to save lives.
As part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you would do important work like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your contribution will have real-world impact, and you will be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Position: Manager, Bioinformatics Software Engineering
The Manager, Software Engineering will work very closely with R&D teams to understand the software requirements and lead the team to deliver the software products on time. We are looking for a highly-skilled and motivated manager to lead our bioinformaticssoftware engineering team. This role will oversee all activities in our internal bioinformatics software development; provide both strategic leadership and hands-on technical expertise.
- Manage a team of bioinformaticssoftware engineers.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship.
- Provide optimal software solutions within the given constraints such as time-line and budget
- Develop software application and analytical tools that will support the various scientific and business needs of the company.
- Develop and validate complex bio-analytical algorithms.
- Develop bioinformatics pipelines to data mine and investigate allele sequence information.
- Interview technical process owners to gather and understand project requirements.
- Follow SDLC and create project specific documentation in compliance with ISO and FDA regulatory standards, including requirements specifications, design specifications, use cases and test cases.
- Support the development of test scripts and end-user documentation by serving as a document reviewer and subject matter expert.
- Participate in short-term tasks to provide one-time use support such as retrieving data from user's home brew database, calculating and creating statistical reports for scientific publications or presentations.
- Run data analysis, interpret data and provide summary reports for R&D development projects.
- Actively participate in design and peer reviews.
- Provide verbal and written technical presentations of prototype concepts, outcomes and software demonstrations to both the scientific and computer-literate communities within Thermo Fisher.
- Ongoing collaboration and communication with other members of the team including project leaders, programmers, research scientists, research technologists, test/QA analysts, and documentation specialists.
- Keep current on Software and Bioinformatics technologies.
Required Professional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 2 years people management experience in software development, in an industry environment where biological sciences are paramount.
- Advanced knowledge of Computational Biology and/or Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Data Sciences.
- Proven ability to develop successful bio-analytical algorithms involving multivariate analysis.
- Experience with C# or other object-oriented programming.
- Proficiency with SQL Scripting, SQL database management tool.
- Proven understanding and experience in the fields of genomics, experimental data processing, high-throughput data analysis, and genomic databases.
- Strong understanding of principles of computer hardware, software and networking.
- Significant experience with processing and investigating sequencing data.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Excel and Office tools.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply bio-scientific information to software development.
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple projects simultaneously and meet necessary deadlines successfully.
- Ability to maintain flexibility with respect to project work and environment.
- Ability to lead a project from concept to implementation.
- Ability to anticipate needs and problems while creating solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse community of scientists, software developers, and management.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent record keeping, documentation and organizational skills.
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with others.
- Practices strong role-model leadership behaviors.
- Working knowledge in HLA, genetics, molecular biology, immunology, or biochemistry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 or later development tools
- Experience with development in MATLAB, R, Perl or Python
- Experience with Web development, ReactJS, ASP.NET, MVC, Web API, JSON, Cloud Computing
- PhD from an accredited higher education institution with studies in Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Computer Science and 5 years of experience with bioinformatics or computational biology in an industry setting
- Master's degree from an accredited higher learning institution with studies in Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Computer Science or related field and 7 years of experience with bioinformatics or computational biology computing in an industry setting
- Bachelors' degree from an accredited higher learning institution with studies in Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Computer Science or related field and 10 years of experience with bioinformatics or computational biology computing in an industry setting.
WHY A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL SHOULD PURSUE THIS JOB
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of their 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join them and contribute to their singular mission—enabling their customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, TFS gives its people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world. You would be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery.
Thermo Fisher Scientific has contracted with Diligent Partners with the exclusive management of this important search.