This position is responsible for leading and planning the billing, collections and cash application operations for an 18 person department. The individual is responsible for designing, implementing and enforcing policies and procedures, as well as streamlining effective billing, collections and cash application processes across multiple markets.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Direct activities of Supervisor of Collections to minimize losses or delays in collection of revenue. This group is primarily responsible for managing delinquent accounts using various tools and activities permitted to collect past due amounts including mailed notices, property posted notices, terminations, collections agencies, and legal remedies.
- Direct activities of Supervisor of Billing and Cash Application. This group is primarily responsible for all cash reconciliation, customer refunds, lockbox exceptions, meter reading exceptions, nightly billing schedule and ~10M accurate and timely invoices per year.
- Responsible for understanding the federal, state, local, and tariff rules that govern collections activities in each state that Aqua operates. Provide department training to ensure that all members understand and are following these regulations.
- Responsible for Aqua’s electronic billing program: Aqua WaterSmart e-Billing, and responsible for overseeing all testing, changes, modifications, and onboarding of new companies and managedcontracts.
- Responsible for insuring billing completeness in accordance to standards set forth by Aqua’s Internal Auditing department, including daily verification of A/R passed between Aqua and Bill Print Vendor as well as in-cycle account reconciliation.
- Responsible for several key internal controls in support of the Company’s financial reporting process, the proper functionality of which play an important role in determining whether the Company’s overall internal controls are functioning effectively.
- Develops and implements new procedures and policies affecting Customer Billing, including the internal controls established to safe guard the recording and receipt of the Company's annual revenue.
- Directs and oversees Aqua’s third-party Bill Print vendor by assigning work, determining priorities, troubleshooting, and making decisions in a dynamic and fast paced environment. Establishes and maintains contractor performance standards.
- Work directly with the Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, and Legal departments regarding complaints including complaints filed with state regulatory bodies (Public Utility Commissions and similar regulators).
- Ensure that Company accounting policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and objectives are adhered to and achieved.
- Develop and maintain a multiyear plans for the department including detailed cost structure and analysis of alternative resources including recommendations for superior alternatives and lower cost alternatives.
- Prepare and report key performance metrics including financial and productivity measures for all aspects of Aqua America collections.
- Create and maintain a working environment that motivates high performance, recognizes and rewards excellence of individuals and teams, and results in employee commitment to performance and develops a culture of employee empowerment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Finance, Accounting or similar curriculum; MBA a plus.
- 8 or more years of leadership experience in billing, collections, cash application or business related activities.
- Candidate must demonstrate supervisory or managerial skills which incorporate appropriate goal setting abilities, situational analysis, trend analysis, business plan generation, personnel coaching and development skills, superior communication and excellent organizational skills.
- A strong general knowledge of utility accounting and utility billing are preferred.
- The ability to represent Aqua in a positive and professional manner, in normal as well as adverse situations, is essential to the satisfactory performance of this position.
- Must have excellent demonstrated writing and negotiating skills.
- Must communicate professionally, both written and orally.
- Should have successful business planning abilities.
- Have experience with billing, collections and cash application management tools and activities (CIS rules, vendor management, debt collection agencies, bankruptcy, etc.) and demonstrated experience with solving complex and difficult problems.