Reporting to the Director, Cloud and Infrastructure Operations, the Manager, Backup and Disaster Recovery will be a hands-on contributor tasked with overseeing and managing the IT organization’s backup and DR technology and processes. This role is responsible for working closely with various application, infrastructure, security, compliance, and support teams to implement and develop backup and DR plans to ensure recoverability of services within agreed timeframes and recovery points.
- Implement and manage the technology used to backup and perform disaster recovery both on-premises and in the cloud.
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of various on-prem and cloud-based backup and disaster recovery solutions for AWS, Azure, VMWare, and Nutanix.
- Identity through change management and/or projects how changes to IT environment will impact backup and DR plans.
- Provide technical guidance to various projects around backup and DR.
Process and procedures
- Develop framework for backup and DR to encompass all IT infrastructure and applications, including evaluation criteria, standard blueprints, and backup and DR lifecycle.
- Working with the various technical teams, create, document, and test backup/restore, and DR processes and procedures, including runbooks for each technology/application.
- Work with application hosting vendors to document and audit their DR plans.
- Work with Security/Compliance teams to ensure DR and Backup/Recovery activities meet all compliance and audit requirements.
- Develop and document RTO, RPO, and SLAs around backup and DR in accordance with all IT and Security/Compliance policies.
Reporting, Metrics, and Improvement
- Lead tabletop exercises and DR event tests to ensure accuracy and identify areas for improvement.
- Compile and report on KPIs and metrics related to backup and DR activities.
- Provide thought leadership around backup and DR technology.
- Capable of managing multiple assignments and priorities in a fast-paced, maturing IT organization.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors (teamwork, customer focus, continuous improvement, and innovation).
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field is preferred. In lieu of Bachelor's Degree, an equivalent amount of relevant experience will be considered.
- Experience being technical lead on projects and initiatives that included a backup and/or DR component.
- 4+ years of experience with industry standard backup and disaster recovery products including many of the following:
- Backup Softare: CommVault, N2WS, Druva
- Backup Storage: DataDomain, SpectraLogic Tape libraries, NetApp SnapVault, AWS Snapshots, AWS Storage Gateways.
- DR solutions: CloudEndure
- DR Providers: Sungard
- 4+ years of experience with various infrastructure technologies:
- Virtualization: VMWare, Nutanix
- Cloud: AWS (EC2, EBS, RDS) and Azure in mutli-region, multi-account implementations
- Storage: Pure, Nutanix, NetApp cloud and on-premises SAN and NAS devices
- Systems: Windows, O365, MS SQL, Azure and on-prem Active Directory.
- Data Center and Cloud networking: Palo Alto Firewalls, AWS VPCs, MPLS, SD-WAN, and other enterprise networking concept
- 2 years of experience with ITIL (Change, Problem, and Incident) standards and concepts (preferably in ServiceNow).
- 1 year of experience reporting on metrics and status of activities.
- Knowledge of scripting and automation (PowerShell, VBScript, Python, AWS Cloudformation)
Join a Winning Team at HUB International
When you join the team at HUB International, you become part of the 5th largest global insurance broker, providing a broad array of property, casualty, risk management, life and health, employee benefits, investment and wealth management products and services. Becoming a part of HUB means that you thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast paced team environment supported by over 12,000 professionals in 450 offices across North America. You will be able to actively contribute to our track record of year over year growth fueled by innovative new products and services, mergers and acquisitions, and a great team of people. As part of our talent engine, you will exemplify our strong core values which drive our unique corporate culture. HUB’s entrepreneurial spirit is evident in our people, products and philanthropic initiatives and we are passionate about our talent!
Department Information Technology
Required Experience: 5-7 years of relevant experience
Required Travel: Negligible
Required Education: High school or equivalent