How will you make an impact?
Under the direction of the Sr. Director, Research and Development, this Rochester NY based position manages the Automation Engineering function for the Laboratory Plastics Essentials business unit, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific. This includes activities related to design, development & procurement of automation for development of Thermo Fisher Scientific life science products and manufacturing processes. This challenging role combines technical and team leadership to develop a high performing engineering organization capable of developing innovative and robust products and manufacturing processes that meet / exceed the ever growing customer and internal needs. The engineering team supports all project types: new product development, maintenance of current products, cost reductions, capacity expansions, and providing engineering assistance to manufacturing as necessary.
What will you do?
Functional responsibilities include:
- Hire, retain, and develop top talent
- Partner with Program Managers on project execution in order to deliver full scope on time
- Employee goal and development plans
- Compliance with all appropriate processes, systems and procedures
- Define metrics and pursue continuous improvement programs
- Accountable for functional project deliverables
- Create and manage department budget
- Completes required communications, including written project summaries and presentations.
Technical responsibilities of the function include:
- Fully responsible for design & development and implementation of new automation in support of product development/ performance.
- Investigates and participates in process to establish goals for new and improved automation and equipment acquisitions, and capital budget provisions for implementation of cost reductions and improved product quality.
- Assists in development of Capital & Expense budgets for Automation Engineering and managing budgeted targets.
- Conduct manufacturing process design processes using best in class engineering practices to generate innovative and robust designs
- Leverage the collective knowledge and expertise of the organization by conducting technical design reviews
- Development of stable and capable processes that consistently yields parts conforming to specifications
- Technology transfer of new products and processes to internal and external manufacturing partners
- Apply new technology to create best in class products and processes
- Execute robust Risk Management practices to maintain high probability of project success, ie, satisfaction of scope, schedule and budget.
- Reviews, analyzes, directs, and implements improvements to products and processes to assure improved product quality and better product performance while reducing manufacturing & and operational costs through continuous improvement process.
- Partner with Project Managers in the creation and execution of project plans and corresponding budgets including resource allocation and required capital.
- Responsible for assessing resource needs across multiple projects and working with appropriate leaders/managers to assign resources per established priorities.
- Create a synergistic, collaborative team environment encouraging trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
How will you get here?
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, with 10+ years related manufacturing equipment design, development, and validation.
- 5+ years of functional management of a technical engineering team
- Expertise in equipment associated with high volume manufacturing, preferably involve plastics parts.
- Experience developing regulated medical device products is a significant plus
- Proven track record of delivering to objectives
- Excellent technical leadership skills including strong root cause problem solving abilities
- Individual must be able to deliver operational and new product development strategies
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to drive results within a matrix organization
- Considerable experience in a Product & Process Development Phase/Gate Methodology
- Ability to travel 10-15% including international locations