Green Mountain Energy Company is seeking an Area Sales Manager with outstanding management, leadership, recruiting and sales skills. This position will be accountable for optimizing sales performance through sales coaching, mentoring, training, and performance management. This position will be responsible for recruiting and managing a sales team, finding selling opportunities, and achieving sales goals. This position will directly manage our sales team leaders, local sales agents, and event set-up personnel. This position reports to the Market Sales Manager.
- Work diligently to assure safety for all sales team members. Attend weekly safety meetings. Report close calls. Looks for ways to improve safety and share best practices. Encourage team members to take our semi-annual safety surveys. Strive to have no recordable incidents each year.
- Achieve signup, flow, and product sales targets.
- Manage, monitor, motivate, coach and train Retail & Event sales team members, including Sales Agents and Team Leads to ensure optimal performance.
- Actively seek methods to improve sales capture, performance, products, processes, and training.
- Manage all expenses to sales budget, achieve COA targets.
- Lead by example in the field by Selling/Closing prospects for Green Mountain Energy® Pollution Free® Electricity and other products/services
- Manage to sales agent headcount targets. Assure that recruiters hire and onboard sales agents following hiring compliance standards. Conduct interviews and recruiting efforts for open sales & support positions.
- Assure that sales agent productivity goals are met as measured by achieving sales per hour targets and keeping gap pay to a minimum.
- Work with full-time staff and team members to locate and secure new sales venues, as well as to maintain and strengthen existing partner relationships
- Establish effective reporting and communication with sales teams to ensure all are properly informed of management expectations, polices, procedures and programs. Set goals in SuccessFactors.
- Attend and/or host sales meetings
- Assure that sales agents meet all quality standards. Achieve a 0.20 Complaint to Sales ratio or better. Coordinate with Quality Assurance staff and QA initiatives to ensure accuracy of messaging and utilization of appropriate sales tactics.
- Oversee sales agent scheduling to optimize sales productivity.
- Ensure sales teams have an adequate supply of all necessary equipment and sales/marketing materials. Track inventory and prevents loss of field equipment
- Actively participate in the residential sales leadership meetings and work streams.
- Attend, be on time and participate at all required meetings.
- Assure the accuracy of commissions and other pay. Assure compliance with approved commission and bonus plans.
- Approve payroll, hours, expense reports, and high dollar invoices after verifying accuracy.
- Work with various online systems and be proactive to find solutions to any IT issues to avoid business disruption.
- Provide competitive and other field related feedback such as product and price comparisons.
- Submit required reports with an emphasis on quality and accuracy and on time.
- Work with stakeholders across departments to support sales efforts, including: HR, accounting, marketing, legal, public relations, peers in other markets, sales analysts, and others.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required. Business degree preferred.
Experience: 3 – 5 years sales management or other leadership experience. Face-to-face customer interaction, sales and/or energy-related experience preferred.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Background with direct outside sales, training, and/or operations.
- Knowledge or aptitude of Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Ability to learn and navigate software and online systems.
- Strong internal and external service orientation.
- Reliability, self-discipline and strong work ethic.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- High level of honesty and integrity.
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Capacity for sound business judgments and decisions including seeking guidance where needed.
- Strong leadership skills including leading by example.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including preparation and execution of effective training and speaking to a group.
- Results oriented.
- Fast-paced professional office and field environment
- Must be reachable and respond to voicemails and emails expeditiously
- Evenings and weekend work required from time to time
- Responsible for training others on main duties and assignments to serve as backup for when out of the office.