The Area Sales Manager, under general direction, conducts sales activities related to selling guest rooms for the Motel 6 and Studio 6 Brands for a portfolio of hotels in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. This role is primarily responsible for building hotel occupancy and revenue for the portfolio of hotels. The Area Sales Manager will develop and maintain existing business clientele relationships and building new business opportunities to ensure maximum profitability for the hotels through cooperation with General Managers, Directors of Operations and other hotel team members. This position also supports the G6 National Sales team, G6 brands/locations (owned and franchised) in their assigned portfolio through providing G6 sales training and education on G6 sales programs and G6 Corporate Plus @ 6 program.
The Area Sales Manager will cover an assigned portfolio (*) to include the Greater San Francisco Bay area. Position is based in the assigned territory and is remote/home office based. *Portfolio Subject to revision
Prior hotel sales knowledge of the designated portfolio/customer base is required. Previous experience representing a national hotel brand is preferred. The position will travel up to 60% of the time making outside sales calls in all areas of their assigned portfolio. The position may also include attending trades shows, and other business generating events and supporting market based sales initiatives as required.
The position requires advanced communication skills and the ability to use independent judgment in regards to sales potential. This is a multi-task position requiring advanced sales skills combined with strong organizational and time management skills. Candidate must be able to handle a variety of duties and tasks with minimal supervision, and effectively manage multiple priorities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attend community networking events, meetings and/or tradeshows as assigned by the Director, National Sales – West.
- Identify and qualify the market for major room night demand generators and suggest strategies and tactics for respective portfolio with the Director, National Sales – West, and update on market fluctuations and changes within the comp set.
- Develop a Sales Action Plan for the assigned accounts/territory with monthly/quarterly updates.
- Utilize STR Data to ensure Motel 6 and Studio 6 is growing market share in comparison to comp set
- Make sales calls via telephone and in person on potential clients and existing accounts.
- Prepare and present sales proposals and brand presentations to potential and existing clients.
- Communicate sales activities and results to supervisor via the department’s protocol which includes reports, database entry, telephone calls, e-mail and in-person meetings.
- Penetrate accounts to attain room sales from all areas of the clients’ businesses.
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships with clients and G6 locations in the assigned portfolio/markets.
- Provide sales support for G6 locations (owned and franchised) on G6 sales programs.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all sales activities in the Goldmine database.
- Represent the Motel 6 and Studio 6 brands at trade shows and/or industry functions, as required.
- Participate in team projects, conference calls and perform duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Achieve account and revenue goals as established by management of the Sales Department.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
- Advanced selling skills and knowledge of local and national sales partnerships
- Strong organizational/time management skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Must be proficient in meeting deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Goldmine or CRM
- The ability for overnight travel, up to 60% possible.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a national brand hotel sales position, environment or equivalent