BASIC PURPOSE: Build and run a team of highly skilled developers and QA engineers devoted to creating travel-focused e-commerce sites with best-of-class scalability, security, reliability, and functionality. The role will own and provide architecture direction for software development, collaborate with product and delivery to design solutions, and lead your team to deliver weekly results in the form of periodic demos of working software. As part of a peer group of architects, the role will contribute, support, and negotiate to ensure each can deliver seamlessly compatible services working towards a common vision.
- Educate delivery coaches, product owner, and team members on the steps required to implement deliverables as well as known risks and issues as soon as they are discovered.
- Provide DCs and POs the information needed to protect the team from external interference and allow the team to focus on execution and planning.
- Understand team dynamics and individual motivations and listen to and communicate concerns concisely and constructively through daily scrums and weekly 1:1s.
- Provide technical expertise and architectural direction for a team of highly competent Engineers and QA engineers to research, design, develop, validate, operate and maintain applications including frontend development, backend services, testing frameworks and native mobile. Use this as an opportunity to solicit feedback and provide mentorship to team members.
- Be forward looking and identify POCs required and approaches for upcoming work.
- Perform code reviews and use these as an opportunity for teaching team members and to strengthen our technical assets.
- Pair program with team members when appropriate to increase quality and invest in the capabilities of team members.
- Stay informed of industry and technology trends to help the team identify the best tool / technology for a given problem statement.
- Support highly complex Web based systems and assist with level 2 support. Provide after-hours problem resolution during on-call periods.
- Refine ticket creation approach with product owner and delivery coach to create an effective process.
- Define and report weekly metrics on which your team's success is measured.
- Create an environment where experimentation and learning are encouraged.
- When issues occur seek understanding of the issue, identify key points of learning, and coach the team to remove the constraints causing the issue.
- Focus on continuous improvement by leading the team to identify problem areas and identifying experiments to attempt to alleviate these areas.
- Promote a mindset of incremental delivery. Work with the product owner to identify the minimum set of work required to create the first working version of a deliverable. Identify the layers of functionality to add to this base over time.
- Promote and reinforce the value of early and frequent testing and deployment to production.
- Identify and enforce work in process limits for each step of the team's SDLC.
- Work with team to create T-shirt size and range-based estimates of complexity for deliverables. Break these deliverables down into smaller units for more refined estimation as the work nears. Prioritize the above activities over your personal development of code and tests when possible.
- Promote "big picture" thinking and focuses on solutions and systems-level thinking.
- Perform other job-related functions as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field of study or any equivalent combination of relevant background, skills and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 7 years of experience with relational databases, software development, and administering advanced applications software within a corporate or e-commerce (B2B/B2C) environments. Expertise utilizing Agile methodologies.