****This position is located in Washington, DC****
The Application Development Manager will serve as a manager for application development teams and will manage the IT services and give technical direction for key APA products and platforms, such as APA PsycNET and Academic Writer. This position will work with product managers and stakeholders in Publishing to develop productive relationships and design solutions that bring value to the product and its customers. He/she will facilitate the learning and adoption of key technologies and evolving application development standards, deployment practices and processes that help APA to stay innovative and current in terms of information technology and scholarly publishing. The incumbent will champion a culture of agility in the development practices for key product lines in APA's publishing products.
Education and Experience Required :
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or related discipline, advanced degree desirable.
- At least ten years progressive technical experience, five of them as an application development manager of a high-performing, cohesive team of 4 or more developers.
- At least 3-4 years of experience developing multi-tiered applications using a diverse stack of modern technologies.
- Considerable knowledge and leadership experience of Agile development methodology.
- Experience in object-oriented design and development.
- Knowledge of accessibility and responsive design.
- Experience in the use of leading-edge technologies to bring customer-facing products to market.
- Hands-on experience in designing complex system and application architecture.
- Experience in publishing technologies, product management, and user experience practices.
- High level of analytic problem-solving, critical-thinking skills and ability to define and solve complex problems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Desired experience with academic publishing, higher education realms, and related areas.
Computer Skills Desired:
- 5 years of proven experience in using technologies with a variety of current technologies such as: OO, HTML, CSS, Angular/Node JS, Python, Java Script, SOA, J2EE, XML/XSL/XPATH, Rest APIs, enterprise architecture methods and Web Services.
- Proven experience w/ relational database systems, data modeling and SQL. Desired experience with NoSQL databases such as Mark Logic.
- Exposure to vocabulary and informatics, data exchange standards, and other technologies relevant to scholarly publishing.
- Manage a team of application developers in solving complex technical issues as well as help the business in analyzing broader technology questions related to key products such as, PsycNET and APA Style platforms.
- Work with publishing product owners to plan, coordinate and execute work within an Agile environment.
- Evaluate a set of business requirements, select an implementation approach, and clearly articulate reasons for any decisions.
- Design an interface structure for integrating a new type of technology into existing products.
- Decide whether custom software, off the shelf software, or a cloud-based solution would be the best way to incorporate a new solution into our existing line.
- Determine a realistic schedule for a product upgrade or new feature, accounting for the schedule and resource requirements of other projects in the pipeline.
- Work with PMs, Scrum masters, and Technical Leads to ensure that project related issues are handled on timely manner.
- Work with the architecture, DevOps, UX, Integrations and Ops teams in a collaborative way in order to strengthen the publishing platforms.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Lead major cross-functional development efforts, some of which will involve multiple technical teams across departments within Information Technology Services.
- Assist the Director of Publishing Solutions & Development, and help build a strong, skilled, harmonious, and well-functioning team of developers.
- Work with engineering and internal client facing teams to prioritize and design product enhancements and new products. Provide presentations and diagrams to articulate the priorities and approaches proposed.
- Work closely with solution managers, and internal client teams to provide technical solutions and clarify any architectural issue that impacts requirements gathering and analysis process.
- Work with the project manager to list project tasks, and identify critical paths and dependencies for delivering new products and features. Identify any key risks that could come from the technology stack and application architecture.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the technologies involved in digital media products, including responsive design, accessibility and content management.
Supervisory Responsibility: Hires, trains, coaches, manages and evaluates performance of 1 or more direct reports. Approves direct reports' timesheets and PTO in HRIS.
- Incumbent will provide input to the hiring process for new developers.
- The incumbent will provide annual goals, performance appraisals and other management actions for the developers who report to the incumbent.
- Weekly reviews with director or senior director to discuss status of major projects.
- Review of architectural, engineering, or technology recommendations provided to supervisor.
- Incumbent will provide critical information for assessing the costs of long-term investments in technology.