The position of Development Manager and Solution Architect is established to oversee the organization’s digital applications development, design and usability by engaging with business units, Information Technology, and vendors as well as leveraging best practices in the areas of architectural design and usability studies to ensure all digital solutions align to SDCCU strategic goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Has the ability to translate goals and strategies presented by the Chief Experience Officer and Vice President, Digital Experience into omni-digital solutions in support of new member products and services.
- Manages a team of developers to use best practice tools in techniques to develop, test, and deliver integrated digital solutions, in conjunction with key vendors and IT. Establish digital channel strategies and tactical plans to have SDCCU positioned for the current and future omni-digital needs of the organization.
- Stay current on new and emerging technologies, as well as ways to improve SDCCU’s digital platforms and member lifecycle integration methods and frameworks.
- Keep EVP, CXO and Digital Channels and Vice President, Digital Experience well informed of the status of development efforts and serve as a liaison between development staff, vendors and IT.
- Provide technical direction for digital design and systems integrations from definition to implementation with overall approval from IT.
- Manage the overall development lifecycle, while managing technical risks throughout projects.
- Use critical thinking and independent judgement to organize and provide direction to staff to resolve technical issues in development of existing and new services leveraging standard methods, tools and techniques.
- Act as liaison and champion of technology architectural standards and security controls as established by the IT team in the digital delivery realm.
- Perform technical due diligence on third-party products prior to integration and advise senior management on how products and processes could be improved.
- Develop high-level and detailed designs for assigned development initiatives and conduct design reviews with management and development teams, including IT.
- Document requirements and work with IT to make recommendations for digital platforms, usability and technology adoption, including website design and internet banking solutions, use of libraries and frameworks as well as automated testing technology stacks.
- Maintain a list of standards and tools to be utilized by application development and support teams with the overall approval of IT.
- Perform research as assigned by executive management.
- Perform or request quality assurance testing in accordance with department and IT policies and guidelines.
- Interact with users, developers, IT and executive management to facilitate completion of requests.
- Understand IT standards, recommended architectures, security controls and best practices in all areas.
- Properly document the software development life cycle and application flow for digital applications and confer with IT leadership to share best practices and leverage experiences.
- Perform lead technical supervision and planning and review of digital project(s) with all parties for both development and production scenarios.
- Provide functional/technical management oversight for the onboarding of new products, client and service level data into solutions and, provide regular reporting to executive management.
- Manage digital team resources to ensure correct and complete translation of business requirements through to delivery.
- Work closely with internal teams and business partners to translate underlying business requirements into functional, data, technical and operational requirements.
- Identify integration points and inter-dependencies across various parts of the end-to-end process.
- Manage data/code releases in conjunction with IT Operations, as well as retention and security standards, in compliance with regulations and audits.
- Drive digital solution development, integration and systems architecture in conjunction with IT architectural standards.
- Create, plan, execute, and deliver digital projects.
- Participate in AML/BSA compliance training as assigned. Adhere to credit union AML/BSA policy and procedures including CTR rules and form preparation, identify and refer suspicious activity to the Compliance Department, perform OFAC comparisons, and properly identify individuals in accordance with Branch Operations procedures.
- Provide managerial oversight of the activities for areas of responsibility, including assigned staff and functional deliverables of the team.
- Demonstrate leadership in words and actions on a daily basis; act as role model for success and engagement. Create a positive work environment conducive to trust and transparency.
- Responsible for the performance management of staff, to include daily feedback, coaching and mentoring; administration of appraisals that are timely and meaningful. Identify and address deficiencies constructively. Continually support, encourage and motivate team members toward ongoing growth and development.
- Consult with Human Resources (HR) on issues outside of the normal scope of performance or behavior. Report all issues of safety or legal consequence immediately and surface undesirable patterns as they are discovered. Partner with HR on all employment decisions, and refer requests for changes in terms or scheduling to the HR department.
- Monitor approved schedules, review and approve timesheets of staff, and ensure all expenses are reported as per company policy. Schedule and provide staff the opportunity for meal and rest breaks, while ensuring operational coverage is maintained.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree with five or more years of additional progressive experience in technical degree or in a related field in working with advanced level digital and software integration concepts.
- At least ten years’ applicable experience with full lifecycle development experience of a digital solution to include: business requirement documentation, technical design and development, large-scale integration with data migration dependencies, test – application, system, regression and load testing, as well as monitoring and supporting.
- Financial institution experience preferred.
- Exceptional organizational, analytical and written communications skills. Professional and effective interaction, verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of key industry standards such as J2EE, WebLogic, JMS, SOAP, REST, JSON, and MVC.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects involving both in-house and 3rd party vendors. Organization skills sufficient to successfully manage multiple projects, establish priorities and meet deadlines. Demonstrated success in planning, organizing, leading and oversight of people and activities.
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel and Visio).
- Expertise in schema design, developing data models and proven ability to work with complex data is required.
- Ability to translate application architectures to create design overviews for systems, educate others on design of solution and standards, review code and provide constructive feedback on improvement, research and recommend changes in software development standards and processes.
- Track record of applying critical thinking and emotional intelligence skills in a wide variety of situations.