If you’re interested in a career within a customer-focused, team-oriented environment that rewards innovation, quality, integrity and collaboration, MedImpact Healthcare Systems, Inc. welcomes your application. MedImpact, is a privately-held pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) headquartered in San Diego, California. Our solutions and services positively influence healthcare outcomes and expenditures, improving the position of our clients in the market. MedImpact offers high-value solutions to payers, providers and consumers of healthcare in the U.S. and foreign markets.
The Manager, Application Development oversees a team of Software Engineers responsible for software development and design for various application development projects including supporting our Medicaid programs. This role helps to lead the effort on setting the future direction for software design and continued migration to leading edge technology across current and future products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates and manages complex project plans by effectively leveraging resources and managing project scope based on available information; troubleshoots issues and provides timely resolutions; guides the software development process based on prior experience, research and analysis of current and future best practices
- Provides technical guidance that strikes a balance with the need to deliver on a deadline and still meet long-term strategic objectives
- Monitors and directs software development to demonstrate solution design meets standard architecture considerations and approvals to include: (1) standard database structures, (2) code standards, (3) common components and reusable programs (4) security and performance levels, (5) system interfaces and dependencies
- Participates on cross functional project teams (internal and external) to deliver quality solutions that meet client’s business requirements
- Gains a solid understanding of business requirements to support the development, testing, and production readiness efforts
- Oversees the effort to create and improve product releases through continuous integration and automation.Looks for ways to automate and improve current processes/solutions within the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Assist in the assessment of current legacy systems and provide recommendations for implementing state of the art systems using the latest software and technologies
- Creates and implements action plans to mitigate risks and resolve issues, working with representatives from stakeholders across the company
- Manages conflicting priorities and multiple projects effectively
- Participates in and leads teams in appropriate SDLC technical artifact creation
- Develops and promotes the overall vision, goals, objectives and strategies for the Application Development team in-line with the Information Technology Business Unit’s goals and objectives
- Provides day-to-day management and supervision for software engineering team by directing and coordinating activities consistent with established goals, objectives, and policies
- Mentors team members from both a technical and professional career enhancement perspective by offering constructive feedback
- Makes effective hires, develops and trains employees, coaches for optimal performance, gives team members regular performance feedback. Takes appropriate corrective action as needed to promote optimal employee performance and low staff turnover
- Develops and maintains solid working relationships with employees and management in cross-functional areas
- Provides hands-on design guidance and documentation as needed
- Keeps up-to-date with emerging IT trends and technologies and the industry’s best practices
Education and/or Experience
For consideration, candidates will need to have a Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field and at least ten (10) or more years of related experience in software development and delivering high quality enterprise applications with an additional two (2) to five (5) or more years of experience managing and mentoring software professionals, or an equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
Solid working knowledge, understanding and hands-on experience with the tools used throughout the software development lifecycle to include the following:
- Software architecture and design skills to guide the development of solutions that are secure, scalable, and reliable
- Backgroundrequiredwith the following applications:
- Oracle RDBMS andUNIX platforms
- Using JIRA for work management
- Web Services (SOAP and REST
- Experience with Java Web Technology (JEE)
- Experience with Java frameworks such as Spring, JPA/Hibernate, and JSF
- Experience working with Web Containers such as Tomcat, JBOSS, IBM Websphere
- Familiarity with Portal Standards (JSR 168, JSR 286) and portal containers such as Liferay
- Familiarity with Business Process Management (BPM) concepts and technologies such as IBM BPM
- Proficient with MS Suite (Word, Excel, Visio, Outlook, Project) to create documentation, manage schedules, and analyze data.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of industry standard best practices, development lifecycle processes, and methodologies. Experience using agile methodology is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of quality management and modern testing techniques, methodologies, processes, procedures, and measurement for large, complex initiatives
- Experienced in the use of metrics to drive decision making and process change
- Strong skills in manual and automated unit testing of data-driven back-end applications with high transaction throughput
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, high productivity environment
- Action-oriented and decisive approach to work required with the willingness to take a hands-on role to ensure that deliverables are met on time
- Demonstrated positive and win-win attitude required, along with good negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Proven experience and expertise in delivering high quality enterprise applications
- Proven experienceworking with vendors, contractors and/or outsourced teams