PetSmart seeks to reinvent the Pet Care industry, leveraging Big Data and Advanced Analytics to understand what’s happening in our space, and why; to answer critical Consumer, Marketplace and Business questions; navigate the rapidly evolving landscape; and to capitalize on opportunities, and solidify and expand our leadership across both Brick and Mortar and Online Pet Retail.
Critical lines of inquiry fall into five investigative buckets:
- Descriptive: What happened?
- Diagnostic: Why did it happen?
- Predictive: What will happen?
- Prescriptive: Can we make it happen?
In order for PetSmart to do the above well you will be responsible for managing a team of data engineers and SMEs to architect, build, and manage an advanced analytics environment to support this activity. This will include establishing an Enterprise Data Lake and other capabilities that will enable advanced analytics and building data assets that will be operationalized. This individual will contribute to the success of our data teams by being flexible and responsive to project requests while delivering quality solutions and services that support new operational and analytics demands while integrating and preserving critical legacy components of data architecture.
You will be responsible for various data management activities that meet project and organizational requirements through collaboration with application developers, data architects, data engineers, project managers, and business analysts. The successful professional will be adept at working in a dynamic environment, know how to deal with ambiguity and have a determined nature to learn and solve business challenges by leveraging large database and data systems.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Architect & build next-generation Big Data analytics framework developed on a group of core technologies
- Code, test, and document new or modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for data analytics.
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture, design, and high performing software
- Leads Big Data and batch/real-time analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies.
- Works on multiple projects as a technical lead driving user story analysis and elaboration, design and development of software applications, testing, and builds automation tools.
- Works with developers to make sure that all data solutions are consistent with architectural & design principals & standards.
- Ensures all automated processes preserve data by managing the alignment of data availability and integration processes.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- 8+years of technical solutionsexperience including 5+years of in a combination of relevantBig Data/Analytics areas including:
- Enterprise Business Intelligence and Analytics (e.g., SAP, Oracle, Teradata)
- Big data and other Industry Big Data Frameworks
- Industry vertical application for Big Data/Analytics
- Underlying infrastructure for Big Data Solutions (Clustered/Distributed Computing, Storage, Data Center Networking)
- Expert knowledge of data modeling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases.
- Capability to architect highly scalable distributed systems, using different open source tools.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R & Python. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience with agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Understands how algorithms work and have experience building high performance algorithms.