The Accounts Payable Manager serves as the primary relationship manager with all Zogenix stakeholders by ensuring first-class service to all internal and external partners. The position manages day-to-day activities in accounts payable (AP) exhibiting a high level of accuracy and completeness to ensure financial statements remain GAAP and SOX compliant. This position will manage the AP team, conduct employee performance evaluations, and foster a team environment.
- Responsible for the full cycle AP function including establishing best practices in the procure-to-pay workflow and ensuring timely payments of invoices, accuracy of 1099 and 1096, and maintenance of AP records.
- Trains and proactively manages the AP team with respect to all activities performed by the AP function, including not only transaction execution but also how the team members interact and communicate with internal and external customers. Any escalations should flow through the AP Manager
- Provides best-in-class customer service by
- overseeing vendor accounts,
- communicating effectively and professionally with vendors,
- training vendors and employees on the steps required to pay invoices,
- responding to payment inquiries,
- resolving any vendor invoice discrepancies in a timely manner,
- responsible for annual 1099/1096 and responses to related inquiries, and
- managing vendor master file and vendor account details.
- Reviews and approves wire templates for both accuracy and authenticity.
- Reviews cash requirement calculations for weekly cash disbursements.
- Reviews and approves AP batches for accuracy and SOX/GAAP compliance.
- Reviews monthly AP aging, verifies explanations exist for >60 days items or any unapplied credits, requests vendor monthly statements for completeness testing, and works with the AP team to research/resolve all outstanding items > 60 days or unapplied credits.
- Reviews open Purchase Orders and liaises with procurement team to resolve matters.
- Prepare support for SOX/audit requests and responds to inquiries from external auditors.
- Develops, implements and maintains procedures and policies related to the AP function to ensure adherence to company guidelines.
- Identifies and addresses frequent AP processing errors by providing recommendations on process efficiency improvements, documenting improvements, and develops operational procedures to strengthen internal controls.
- Manages monthly AP closing of financial records and ensure accuracy of financial statements.
- Assists with the ERP implementation of the Procure-to-Pay (PTP) module.
- Support other finance/ad hoc projects as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 or 6 + years of relevant experience (public biotech or technology strongly preferred) with at least 3 years managing the full-cycle AP process and team; 10+ years of experience in lieu of degree
- Great Plains or NetSuite/Coupa/Concur experience preferred
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving and communication (both written and verbal) skills are required
- Thorough knowledge of intermediate accounting procedures
- Intermediate MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Accuracy and attention to detail with aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
- Proven self-starter who sets concrete and achievable goals and meets them
- Demonstrated proficiency for identifying organizational opportunities and effectively implementing new processes and internal controls