Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing all functions related to the Accounts Payable operation. Approves and processes all monetary disbursements in Accounts Payable and supervises support staff. Responsibilities include interfacing with departments, students, professionals, administrative and executive staff within the University. Supervises support staff personnel and reports to the Comptroller
• Bachelor’ degree and/or equivalent experience
• A minimum of 3-4 years of accounts payable experience.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge of practices and procedures used in financial management, especially accounts payable.
• Organizational skills.
• Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, methods and equipment.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written form.
• Ability to exercise critical human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with the University Community.
• Develops, recommends and implements accounting disbursement systems, methods and procedures; responsible for managing such systems and methods.
• Maintain records of rent schedules, including common area charges, taxes, and insurance. Reconciles monthly payments and expenses to ensure payments are made in accordance with lease terms. Uploads supporting lease documentation into the Prolease software for use by other Finance Department staff.
• Invoice review and matching, process check runs in compliance with University policies and payment terms; verifies that checks are supported by appropriate invoices or receipts.
• Provide guidance and technical support to University faculty, staff, and students with accounts payable related issues.
• Reconciles the student refund file detail prior to submission to Higher One. Communicates and resolves discrepancies with the student refund file, initiates wire transfer to Higher One, and provides notification when the process is complete.
• Assist with the maintenance of the purchasing card program. Monitors outstanding procurement card transactions in need of data input or approval. Coordinates with University personnel for completion of these transactions. Reviews all procurement card statements and receipts for legitimacy and to determine if expenditures were within the University guidelines.
• Reviews outstanding check list, researches payments outstanding over 90 days and completes paperwork to void or reissue checks.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of sales and use tax procedures. Obtains and applies sales and use tax rules from multiple states.
• Audits and reviews invoices, check requests and expense reports for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
• Maintain the list of individuals throughout the university that have the authority to sign University payment authorizations.
• Coordinates and monitors the 1099 reporting function of the University and the year-end distribution of 1099 forms to the University’s vendors.
• Leads the conversion of the accounts payable department through accounts payable software upgrades.
• Coordinates and plans the accounts payable staff work flow, insuring that semi-weekly accounts payable cycle processing and check distribution are met.
• Oversees accounts payable disbursement procedures in accordance with university policies and guidelines and recommends changes in financial policies and procedures, as necessary.
• Monitor established internal controls to assure proper compliance.
Posting Number S0202