The Finance Shared Services Center (FSSC) General Accounting Department (GA) Manager responsible for the supervision of a team of accountants and clerical staff to achieve the completion of assigned accounting processes which may include purchase and expense accounting, treasury/banking accounting, payroll accounting, fixed asset accounting, cost allocations accounting, miscellaneous revenue accounting, contractual arrangement accounting, partnership and joint venture accounting, lease and tenant accounting, business tax and license filing as well as other accounting functions. Responsibilities include ensuring all balance sheet accounts continuously reflect accurate financial position through review of work performed by accountants and clerks.
The Manager in plans and organizes resources to perform routine and scheduled functions as well as to respond to business unit questions related to accounting. The Manager ensures the team is effectively trained in their assigned processes and work products are appropriately reviewed and communication on changes, issues or status are appropriately distributed to affected parties. The Manager models the core values of the department in their dealings with others and develops and implements practices that ensure the satisfaction, recognition and engagement of their team members. The Manager works to ensure processes are operating effectively and efficiently, implementing best practices and improvements in a standardized way across all finance related functions.
- Ensure journal entries are recorded to accurately reflect appropriate accrual basis accounting transactions for assigned functions in the correct period including accruals of expenses, accruals of revenue, amortization of prepaid expenses, etc.
- Ensure team assigned tasks are completed timely and completion is appropriately documented to enable financial close in accordance with GAAP.
- Monitor and review general ledger account reconciliations to ensure accounts are reconciled in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain all accounting records and ensure practices adhere to MGM Resorts accounting policies and remain standard across all business units.
- Ensure that Company assets are appropriately protected, including collection of rents, avoidance of excess payments, proper authorization for expenditures.
- Monitor regulatory business licenses and taxes, property taxes, contractual arrangements and other regulatory reporting requirements are completed and/or paid on a timely basis.
- Maintain service level agreements with internal customers.
- Ensure required communications and information reporting to business units and other clients is prepared and distributed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of ad-hoc requests including timely communication and responsiveness to requests.
- Assist in implementation, communication and enforcement of management directives, policies and procedures.
- Assist accountants and clerks in resolving issues or difficulties in the performance of their work, knowing when issues should be escalated.
- Periodically review and edit documented work procedures and responsibility grids to ensure they accurately reflect work being done. Suggest updates to department policies to reflect actual practices.
- Recommend new work procedures to Director and identify potential improvements to work-flow involved in posting, summarizing, verifying, recording, balancing, reviewing and correcting transactions.
- Manage, participate and provide support to accomplish projects for systems implementations and/or processes related improvements for internally or externally initiated projects to ensure that GA requirements are met and/or work efficiently enhanced.
- Assist with the selection and hiring process for accountants and clerks for team.
- Ensure new team employees are appropriate processes and trained, ensuring that all new hire orientation processes have been completed.
- Maintain deep knowledge of team functions and ensure all team members are adequately trained to effectively and efficiently perform their assigned tasks Initiate and participate in employee recognition activities.
- Assist in preparing and delivering performance evaluations and discipline or development activities for team accountants and clerks.
- Perform other job related duties as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or equivalent (combined 5+ years between relevant college education and specific accounting experience, plus high school diploma).
- At least 3 years specific accounting or finance experience.
- At least 2 years supervisory experience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to lead and mentor a team.
- Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Able to effectively communicate in English, in both written and oral forms.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or IT related field.
- At least 2 years Gaming industry experience.
- Work experience with large companies (more than 10,000 employees)
- Intermediate knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), accounting practices and theories.
- Knowledge and experience with MGM Resorts International financial systems (Infinium, AS400, Showcase Strategy, Cognos Finance, Cognos Bi)
- Intermediate experience with use of Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Outlook) and financial mainframe applications including ability to import and export data to and from mainframe applications.
- Previous experience working in a similar resort setting.