- The Accounting Research team is at the forefront of key technical accounting matters and financing reporting requirements. The Accounting Research team supports various business organizations (Retail, Business Solutions and Generation businesses) and provides technical accounting training to the business.
- Review complex transactions, including investments, acquisitions and financing arrangements, among others, and determine appropriate U.S. GAAP treatment by utilizing FASB guidance and interpretations, research tools and other accounting literature to provide written documentation of relevant conclusions
- Provide guidance to the accounting organization and present resolutions on issues related to acquisitions, dispositions, revenue recognition, leases, equity method investments, debt issuances & refinancing, stock compensation and various other topics
- Monitor the standard setting authorities for changes in U.S. GAAP or SEC reporting requirements and communicate changes to the financial reporting group and other various accounting personnel
- Provide technical accounting training on various topics to regional and corporate accounting departments
- Integrate new accounting requirements into company accounting policies
- Identify a need for new accounting policies and develop written accounting policies for distribution to the company
- Interpret current accounting policies to provide clarification of accounting requirements as they relate to specific questions or transactions and provide written documentation of relevant conclusions
- Assist with financial reporting reviews and meet financial reporting deadlines
- Open office environment.
- Some overtime required as special projects arise.
- Travel minimal
- BS in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum of 4-7 years accounting and/or finance experience,
- CPA required
- 3 years of experience in public accounting experience
- 3 years of experience with US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements
- Experience in the energy industry (whether retail or conventional) a plus
- Technical accounting experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in highly collaborative work environments a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work with various departments and individuals to resolve problems in a timely manner
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills and able to communicate technical concepts to the business in "plain English"
- Detail-oriented with ability to manage conflicting priorities without sacrificing accuracy
- Strong initiative and a process improvement mindset
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint