Reporting to the Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting, this positon will serve as TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation’s (TDA) technical accounting subject matter expert with responsibility for all technical accounting matters and assist in making accounting policy decisions. The role incorporates responsibility over accounting policy assessment for acquisition opportunities and integrations and adoption of new rules and standards. This role will provide technical accounting expertise and knowledge with respect to SEC and US GAAP rules, as well as IFRS. Overall, the role is responsible for setting TDA’s accounting policies (in conjunction with the Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting, Director, Accounting, and Chief Accounting Officer) and maintaining oversight over the adoption and compliance with those policies. The role will partner with all other parts of Finance, Legal, Internal Audit, External Auditors, and the business to ensure that financialreporting impacts are appropriately considered in conjunction with strategic business decisions.
- Monitor standard setting bodies (SEC, FASB, etc.) activities for proposed standards that may impact TDA and interpret the effects to the organization
- Lead the implementation of all new accounting and reporting requirements. For example revenue recognition, leases, etc.
- Provide highly technical expertise in multiple areas of accounting, including independently performing research and completing memos on complex technical accounting issues to support key accounting decisions
- Serve as the primary consultative resource for the firm on technical accounting matters
- Assist with the review of SEC Filings (10K, 10Q) prepared by External Reporting
- Assist the Financial Controls team with identifying and implementing controls over newly adopted accounting standards
- Participate in the monthly forecast and close process in order to help identify items that may not be accounted for or forecasted correctly
- Draft audit committee materials to educate the audit committee on accounting matters expected to impact TDA.
- Perform technical accounting reviews of new and/or significant and unusual transactions and inform management of identified impacts in a timely manner.
- Lead or partner with senior finance and business leaders to identify and evaluate the accounting impacts of proposed transactions
- Prepare technical memos to support accounting policy decisions and present the information to various levels both within the organization, as well as with outside business partners. Audience can include up to the TDA CFO, as well as external audit partners.
- Work with internal audit as needed to ensure they agree with policy decisions before they are implemented to avoid “audit surprises”
- Effectively communicate accounting decisions to TD Bank as necessary
- Expectation of membership on SIFMA’s Global Financial Institutions Accounting Committee and applicable working groups
- Expectation of networking with the accounting policy teams at peer firms to ensure our accounting practices align with peers and to help identify best practices
- 4 Year College Degree; Graduate Degreepreferred
- 5+ years related experience
- 7+ years total experience
- Manager at a large public accounting firm, or equivalent level of experience
- Experience with proactively performing complex accounting research and resolving issues
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization
- Ability to write technical accounting memos which provide adequate audit support for conclusions reached
- Experience with reviewing SEC Filings (10K, 10Q)
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks
- Experience with leading large projects
- Strong desire to achieve career growth
- Ability to work either individually or as part of a team to meet deadlines
- FINRA Series 27 or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire (preferred)
- Military education or experience may be considered in lieu of civilian requirements listed.