The accounting operations teams are responsible for ensuring that the financial results of T-Mobile are accurately presented under both US GAAP and IFRS accounting standards. There are a variety of teams within accounting operations which provides opportunities for professional growth and development. The teams are responsible for areas such as corporate accounting, accounting policy, supply chain accounting, equipment sales accounting, revenue accounting and fixed asset and lease accounting.
This role is a leadership role specifically responsible for managing the accounting for TMUS' Equity and Payroll transactions and will report to the Senior Accounting Manager. This position is responsible for highly visible, externally reported information, so a diligent, hands-on manager is needed to ensure accuracy of results.
This position will manage individual contributor roles and oversee the monthly close process, various projects, and business relationships both inside and outside the company. This position will be responsible for developing and implementing process improvements and integrating various initiatives associated with T-Mobile's growing and highly dynamic business.
What you'll do in your role.
- Ensure accounting records, monthly accounting close activities, and variance analysis are properly prepared, maintained and explained in a timely manner.
- Accountable for identifying and communicating risks and issues impacting financial area of responsibility.
- Establish structure and standards to ensure appropriate internal controls are in place and operating effectively.
- Understands business drivers and their effect on financial results to ensure business changes are accurately reflected in the financial processes and analysis.
- Manage departmental projects and process changes to improve efficiencies in work processes and to reduce work in low value activities.
- Responsible for journal entries, complex balance sheet reconciliations and variance analysis in accordance with US GAAP and IFRS.
- Deep understanding of the transactional flow through various systems to monitor and ensure accurate financial results.
- Work closely with Accounting Policy, External Reporting, Tax, FP&A, Executive Compensation, and other accounting operations teams to ensure deliverables are completed timely and accurately.
- Participate in enterprise projects to ensure appropriate requirements are developed based on a solid understanding of the impacted systems and the transactional flow, and ensuring regression testing is performed.
- Responsible for driving department goals and vision forward within the team.
- Provide review of work of other team members, providing constructive feedback, guidance and coaching to other team members while maintaining positive relationships.
- Coach and develop business, system, process and accounting acumen, including awareness of team member's career goals and promoting development of team members.
As a Leader you are focused on strategy and planning while developing and guiding your team. You demonstrate and showcase your leadership abilities by:
- SETTING PERFORMANCE DIRECTION: Translating broader business initiatives into clear team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action.
- MOTIVATING OTHERS: Creating a team environment where everyone wants to do their best and deliver results.
- DELEGATING: Broadly sharing responsibility and accountability of both routine and important tasks and decisions. Let direct reports finish their own work.
- DEVELOPING AND COACHING OTHERS: Having awareness of each person's career goals; hold development discussions; and provide challenging tasks and assignments to promote development.
- HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE: Monitoring progress and results; give feedback effectively and make tough decisions when appropriate.
The experience you'll bring.
- Experience with accounting for complex equity transactions and payroll compensation arrangements under US GAAP preferred; experience with IFRS reporting a plus.
- Deep understanding of business drivers and their effect on financial results required.
- Broad knowledge of accounting with strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Ability to develop goals and the process by which to meet goals based on provided objectives.
- Proven professional with advanced understanding of accounting theory, current accounting issues, and accounting systems, with solid understanding of US GAAP and IFRS.
- SAP and BPC experience a plus.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and cross-functional teams.
- Ability to interact with peers and team members to gain cooperation amongst the teams to meet objectives.
- Ability to develop and conduct presentations of technical information related to financial results, projects or accounting issues.
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to build trust and develop strong cross-functional relationships across the organization to achieve common goals.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to successfully manage priorities with excellent attention to detail.
- High proficiency in Excel and Word required, and working knowledge of PowerPoint a plus.
- Ability to resolve complex problems positively and professionally.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and excel in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required. CPA preferred.
- 7+ years relevant accounting experience or 5+ years in public accounting, with at least 2 years managing teams.
- Public accounting and/or financial services industry accounting experience preferred.
- Large public company experience preferred.