Location: Toronto, ON # of openings: 1 Salary Range:
Diabetes Canada is making the invisible epidemic of diabetes visible and urgent. Eleven million Canadians have diabetes or prediabetes. Now is the time to End Diabetes - its health impacts as well as the blame, shame and misinformation associated with it. Diabetes Canada partners with Canadians to End Diabetes through education and support services, resources for health-care professionals, advocacy to governments, schools and workplaces, and, funding research to improve treatments and find a cure. about Diabetes Canada and our mandate please visit www.diabetes.ca.
Working at Diabetes Canada offers our employees an opportunity to make a difference. Every day, Diabetes Canada has a direct impact on improving the lives of Canadians affected by diabetes. Our vision is ‘a world free of the effects of diabetes’.
A career at Diabetes Canada provides meaningful work and, positive work-life balance. Employees are supported to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and, focus on cultivating strong relationships with health care providers, people affected by diabetes and members of the diabetes community.
Diabetes Canada employs over 800 people and, is supported by more than 42, volunteers. Our mission is to ‘lead the fight against diabetes by helping people with diabetes live healthy lives while we work to find a cure’.
Reporting to the Controller, the Manager, Accounting is responsible for the effective operation of the financial accounting function for the organization. Leading the accounting team, the Manager, Accounting maintains and supervises the daily activity of staff to ensure the efficient operation of the finance and accounts payable function. This position ensures that the financial records and reports of the organization are accurate and timely, such that operating managers have the financial information required to make timely business decisions.
Some of the highlights of the Manager, Accounting role:
- Ensure the integrity of the financial information and reporting for the organization
- Manage month and year-end reporting processes, ensuring that transactions are posted and reports prepared in a materially correct and timely manner and in accordance with Canadian GAAP for not-for-profit organizations (and related guidelines)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Canadian GAAP, technical guidelines and regulatory rulings for not for profit organizations
- Liaise with external auditors at year-end, ensuring that all client assistance schedules are prepared, reviewed and submitted to the auditors as required on a timely basis
- Liaise with and assist auditors in performing the other special audits
- Responsible for cash flow analysis and tracking
- Manage accounts payable function ensuring timely processing of all payments
- Oversee and review Charitable Information Return, HST, GST and retailsalestax returns, ensuring that they are prepared consistent with respective regulations, accurately reflecting the underlying transactions and filed on a timely basis
- Maintain an up-to-date detailed knowledge of CRA regulations and related guidelines applicable
- Work with the Financial Planning and Analysis team and other areas of the organization to evaluate and improve finance business rules, including financial policies and procedures
- Provide professional finance, accounting and technical support across the organization relating to financial accounting policies and procedures
- Recruit, hire, orient, direct, and evaluate employees reporting to him/her. Manage the human resources of the department according to the organization’s policies
As the successful candidate for the Account Manager role you will have:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or related field
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA; CPA, CMA or CGA)
- 3-5years of progressively responsibleexperience in accounting in a not-for profit organization of equal or larger size
- Familiarity with Canadian GAAP for Non-Profits
- Sound working knowledge of financial ERP systems considered an asset
- 3-5years general accounting experience
- 3-5years people management experience
- Excellent communication (written and oral)
- Excellent time management
- Ability to develop effective and highly motivated team members through coaching
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with staff at all levels, as well as with external stakeholders including external auditors
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the proven ability to plan, develop and execute creative approaches to complex financial issues
- Ability to lead a team through change and challenging circumstances
- Ability to take initiative and take ownership of actions and outcomes
- Ability to identify strengths of team members and delegate appropriately
- Grant Accounting experience considered an asset
- Microsoft Office experience with advanced Excel skills including macros, pivot tables and vlookups