The Maintenance Supervisor/Safety Coordinator is responsible for managing all preventative maintenance, repairs, and safety related activities in the distribution center. This supervisor is accountable for ensuring swift resolution of any MHE or facility equipment issues, ensuring safe practices are implemented and followed, administer equipment training, as well as overseeing the maintenance and janitorial staff. This role works closely with various support departments in the execution of company business, including Operations, Human Resources, IT, etc.
Daily duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Adhere to company policies, safety regulations and OSHA requirements.
- Ensure that cleaning staff use the proper cleaning supplies and equipment to keep the exterior and interior of the offices and warehouse clean and professional.
- Respond to repair requests quickly and in a professional manner.
- Be in communication with the different companies/entities such as: Fire Department, Water Department, Alarm Company, Telephone Company, etc. to ensure that the company complies with established requirements, policies and ensure continuity of service.
- Regularly check functionality of safety systems (e.g. fire alarm, alarm system, sprinkler system, etc.).
- Lead and model the company’s safety policies to create a safe work environment for everyone.
- Assist in developing preventive and corrective maintenance programs.
- Perform or ensure preventative maintenance to avoid possible failures and malfunctions.
- Complete daily work assignments in a timely and accurate manner.
- Analyze repairs requests and troubleshoot appropriately.
- Perform installations, assemblies, fittings, repairs, and replacements as needed.
- Manage and perform emergency maintenance and repairs when necessary.
- Stock adequate spare parts and cleaning supply materials to avoid shortages or excessive inventories.
- Maintain complete records of daily maintenance activities.
- Maintain clean, safe and organized warehouse work areas.
- Operate and train authorized personnel in the operation of Electric Pallet Jacks and general Forklift Safety to avoid accidents.
- Maintain the maintenance tools and equipment in safe, clean and good working conditions.
- Attend job training and safety meeting programs.
- Participate in the development of the Job Safety Analysis and Job Safety Observations.
- Conduct monthly Safety meetings with supervisors
- Assist supervisors with injured employees, guiding them to fill out the accident reports to be submitted to HR.
- Request the transportation (Uber) and accompany the injured employees to the clinic.
- Provide HR with monthly safety reports, such as monthly ladder inspections.
On a daily basis, the Maintenance Supervisor manages and performs a variety of work in the maintenance and repair of building, facilities, equipment and grounds. This work can require basic knowledge of the following trades:
- Carpentry: Performing basic rough and finished carpentry repair of structures such as doors, fences, window frames, office furniture, and shelves.
- Electrical: Performing basic electrical repair work for switches, outlets, plugs, lighting, and report unsafe electrical conditions.
- Plumbing: Identifying and performs basic repairs of plumbing leaks or breaks, open drains, replaces seals and other minor parts, maintains drinking fountains, repairs and maintains hot water heaters and other appliances.
- Painting: Applying and prepares various surfaces for paint, enamel, lacquer, varnishes or paints over graffiti, repairs wall coverings.
- HVAC: Changing filters on various ventilation equipment.
- Grounds Maintenance: Maintaining grounds in a clean, safe and orderly manner.
In addition to executing smaller repairs, the Maintenance Supervisor is also responsible for identifying projects and larger repairs that require the services of outside contractors and notifying the appropriate persons. The Supervisor actively maintains relationships with our regular outside vendors and contractors, arranges for bids and services when needed, and follows through to completion of said tasks, once approval is given.
Furthermore, the Maintenance Supervisor ensures that all safety guidelines are always followed when work is performed (e.g. Lock-Out/Tag-Out, fall protection, full compliance with OSHA guidelines, etc.).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing people
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Experience with maintenance within a distribution or warehouse environment
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Proven ability to motivate team members and drive continuous improvement
- Strong decision-making skills
- Ability to work closely with cross-functional partners and lead building initiatives
- Willingness to work extended days and weekends as business needs require