National Cement Company of Alabama, Inc. has been producing cement in St. Clair County, Alabama for over 100 years. Cement operations began in July 1910 at the current plant site in Ragland, Alabama. The company was purchased by the Vicat Group of France in 1974. The plant ships manufactured cement products via truck and rail to a diverse customer base across Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and Florida. We maintain distribution facilities in Georgia and South Carolina, and our territory managers are strategically located throughout the southeastern states to ensure prompt customer service and delivery of our products.
Our business objective is to offer the highest quality cement at the best possible price while maintaining our core corporate values of integrity, quality, and customer service and loyalty. As a corporate citizen in the state where many of our employees also live, we strive to be environmentally responsible in the operation of our facilities. Our diligent efforts in this regard were recognized by the Ragland plant being awarded the ENERGY STAR designation by the EPA in 2010 and 2011.
In addition to manufacturing cement, National Cement of Alabama's ready-mix subsidiaries (Kirkpatrick and Walker Concrete) serve the Southeast region's needs for high-quality residential and commercial concrete products from their numerous batch plants which cover the diverse markets of Alabama and Georgia.
The Maintenance superintendent is responsible for the daily and short term corrective and preventive maintenance activities associated with the efficient operations of the Maintenance Department.
The successful candidate will ensure a safe working environment for Maintenance personnel and ensure that safety standards are met in accordance with company policy, state and federal regulations, coordinate daily and weekly operation of the Maintenance Department, work closely with the Maintenance Supervisors to ensure assigned tasks are completed safely and efficiently, work closely with other department management personnel (Production, Electrical, Quarry, Automation) to confirm tasks are completed in a planned and coordinated fashion, assist and provide guidance to Maintenance Supervisors to resolve human resource and employee relation related issues, assist Maintenance Manager in developing short to mid-term maintenance plans, review deficiencies noted during corrective maintenance, properly channel these issues toward execution, maintain and advise on the use and disposition of stock items and surplus items.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences:
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Must have previous supervisory experience
- Must have the potential to eventually fill the position of Maintenance manager
- Ability to read and interpret maintenance manuals and blueprints
- Demonstrated ability to analyze failures and implement effective corrective solutions
- Effective communication skills to influence all levels of personnel and to create change
- Demonstrated leadership ability to influence safety practices and initiatives
- Ability to work as a team member with strong time management and record keeping skills
- Able to conduct area/job inspections to ensure work completed without defects and is in compliance with specifications and regulatory requirements
- Must have knowledge of industrial plant mechanical and welding concepts/applications
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills with a preference for candidates with J.D.Edwards ERP system experience
- Good understanding of procurement policies including contract administration
- Must have availability to work some nights/weekends and off-hour call outs
- Ability to access all areas of the plant as required in order to perform duties of the position
Job Type: Full-time