Maintenance Manager (Metals Operation)
Summary: Directs and coordinates activities of employees engaged in repair, maintenance, and installation of machines, tools, and equipment, and in maintenance of buildings, grounds, and utility systems of the mill, and facilities by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Extensive experience in the development and implementation of Total Productive Maintenance Programs.
- Expertise in developing the skills of craftworkers to move the mill forward in the pursuit of Lean Manufacturing.
- Extensive experience in the use of measurements of run time, down time, waste, cost of materials, % of planned hours vs. breakdown hours, and equipment run time.
- Schedules repair, maintenance, and installation of machines, tools, and equipment to ensure continuous production operations.
- Coordinates activities of workers fabricating or modifying machines, tools, or equipment to manufacture new products or improve existing products.
- Directs maintenance activities on utility systems to provide continuous supply of heat, steam, electric power, gas, or air required for operations.
- Plans, develops, and implements new methods and procedures designed to improve operations, minimize operating costs, and effect greater utilization of labor and
- Reviews new product plans and discusses equipment needs and modifications with design engineers and external contractors.
- Requisitions tools, equipment, and supplies required for operations.
- Confers with management, engineering, and quality control personnel to resolve maintenance problems and recommend measures to improve operations and conditions of machines and equipment.
- Prepares department budget and monitors expenditure of funds in budget.
- Reviews work orders to determine work priorities.
Directly supervises skilled and unskilled employees in the Maintenance Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees;
planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and
disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field from four-year college or university; with a minimum of six years related experience and two years supervisory experience; and/or a sufficient number of years related experience to demonstrate the required skills to be successful in this position.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10
pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision,
color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.