Who We Are
We are honored to be recognized as a multi-award winning organization, including one of the Best Places to Work in Multifamily Housing for 2019. At CWS, we recognize these awards are won because our greatest asset is our people. CWS' competitive advantage is to hire leaders with qualities which allow them to successfully interact with colleagues and others in the workplace and beyond. Through your leadership, you are not just exemplifying CWS' strategy, you are expressing who you are and what you stand for as a leader.
Our five core values we embody are: Honoring Our Word, Ethical Dealings are Paramount, A Respect for People, Requirement for Profitability and Sustainability, A Demand for Excellence with a Sense of Urgency.
What We Do
Since 1969, CWS has delivered exceptional living experiences for our customers. Over the years, our company has expanded and we're proud to serve more than 60,000 residents and 800 team members across the country. We believe our success is a product of staying true to who we were at the onset. As a result, our daily actions are designed to deliver on our purpose of "Enhancing Lives the CWS Way." We have a signature style which includes friendly associates, responsive service, well-designed floorplans, unique amenities, and spotless communities.
What You Will Do
As a Maintenance Director, you'll effectively lead a maintenance team and actively participate in the maintenance of the physical condition of the entire community while promoting resident satisfaction. Here's more of what we'll look for from you:
- Leadership: You'll facilitate a high performing team through frequent communication and coaching of diverse skillsets to ensure property success.
- Quality Control: You'll provide feedback to the team on their work, and aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves to help with work orders and projects.
- Expense Management: You'll review and analyze the property budget to ensure expenses are maintained within guidelines.
- CWS Values: You'll embrace our core values and set an example to the team by demonstrating these values on a daily basis.
Lead maintenance team members
- Establish clear performance expectations based on job descriptions and CWS standards.
- Conduct quarterly connections with team members.
Make ready vacant apartments
- Supervise and monitor the performance of maintenance team.
- Schedule and coordinate the make ready of vacant units according to CWS Standards.
- Utilize computer reports, checklists and electronic make-ready boards for up-to-date status of condition of units.
- Ensure all vacant unit condition reports/make ready board are accurate for the leasing team.
- Actively participate in painting and repairs when needed.
- Coordinate and ensure quality of work performance of vendors and contractors.
- Monitor overall quality of a make ready unit via inspection prior to being made ready in Onesite.
Completes service requests
- Assign and coordinate service requests to CWS policy to ensure 24-hr response.
- Actively participate in performing service requests and troubleshooting.
- Coordinate, solicit bids, and monitor quality of work performed by vendors and contractors.
- Participate in the call back of service requests to monitor resident satisfaction.
- Track all service requests through Onesite.
Performs exterior and common area maintenance
- Make regular inspections of the buildings, landscaping, parking lots, sidewalks, lights, signage, playgrounds, pools, etc. to ensure CWS standards, and notify Community Director of any problem areas.
- Oversee and troubleshoot maintenance of pools, spas and amenities. Ensure pool chemical testing is performed daily.
- Monitor trash disposal by outside vendors.
Leads and participates in the CWS Risk Management Program
- Implement and maintain the CWS Risk Management Program.
- Respond to community emergencies such as, major crimes, fire, weather damage, and serious accidents.
- Using an Incident Report, document damage and/or accidents involving residents and team members according to CWS standards.
- Notify Community Director of accidents, emergencies or disasters.
- Ensure the CWS Safety Policies are in effect.
- Plan, facilitate, monitor, track and participate in regular safety meetings.
- Ensure key control policies are in effect.
- Conduct property inspections to prevent workplace accidents and promote resident safety.
- Maintain alarms and fire/life safety equipment.
- Document and maintain records of location for all power, water, and gas cutoffs, clean-outs, traps and fire extinguishers.
Participate in resident satisfaction programs
- Participate in resident activities and preparation
- Participate in resident service programs, when offered.
Maintain Inventory and Shop Organization
- Ensure adequate inventory of parts and supplies are available according to need and budget allowances.
- Assist Community Director in budget control and budget preparation.
- Responsible for inventory control and the physical condition of all equipment and tools.
- Procure parts and supplies from stores, warehouses, and rental stores when delivery service is not available, expedient or cost effective.
- Maintain appliance inventory, when applicable.
Lead and participate in preventative maintenance program
- Maintain schedules for interior preventative maintenance measures, such as filter checks, coil cleaning, leak detection, etc.
- Maintain schedules for exterior preventative maintenance measures such as light checks, gutter cleaning, tree trimming; gate inspection and lubrication, sand filter changes, etc.
- Establish preventative maintenance schedules determined by extreme weather to prevent freeze damage to plumbing and pools, and prevent icy surfaces/slip & fall conditions, etc.
- Organize and participate in regional S.W.A.T. preventative maintenance activities.
Communicate with customers, including residents, investors, vendors, regional leadership, and other CWS team members.
- Review and respond to emails, correspondence, and requests.
- Distribute company information to team members as received.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to read service requests and schedules in English
- Oral and written communication skills
- Able to adhere to set and variable work schedule, including weekends and emergencies as required
- Able to adhere to company policies, procedures, and practices
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Able to maintain a professional and ethical atmosphere
- Able to professionally interact with customers, residents, and guests
- Supervisory/managerial skills
- Able to perform work responsibilities at locations other than home property
- Able to travel within major metropolitan area and may be required to attend company functions in other cities
- High school diploma or GED (preferred)
- EPA certification (required); HVAC, Pool and other state and local certifications (preferred)
- Minimum 2- 4 years previous full-time work experience in apartment maintenance (preferred), or a trade that requires basic knowledge of electricity, plumbing, carpentry, painting, and HVAC
- Own a valid driver's license with a good driving record and current automobile insurance
- Own a basic set of hand tools