The Machine Learning Scientist - Imaging will work with a multi-disciplinary professional group to research, develop, and implement machine learning techniques on security imaging system platforms. Key duties of this position will include collection of imaging data, coding and adaptation of machine learning approaches, technical interchanges with internal and customer R&D personnel, and performance of funded research efforts in a laboratory environment. The candidate will need to effectively communicate with internal colleagues from a number of international Smiths Detection sites and various technical and non-technical representatives to accomplish short-term and long-term objectives. Support of off-site lab evaluations of technologies and products will require occasional overnight travel.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Manage the development of machine learning techniques (CNN, Deep Learning, decision logic) for various imaging-based detection systems in software packages and programming languages such as Matlab, GPU code (e.g. Cuda), C/C++, Java
- Serve at Subject Matter Expert (SME) for technical knowledge of machine learning techniques and image processing programs or applications as directed, representing Smiths Detection and providing feedback to internal teams
- Provide engineeringsupport of key testing activities, including support of laboratory and field testing activities
- Create R&D funding proposals, information packages, and presentations in support of external funded R&D efforts
- Interact with external technical personnel, industry groups, testing standards groups, selected customers, and internal management to provide feedback into the product development and design efforts
- Collect sample images, library data, and technical information to support algorithm development projects
- Lead U.S.-based testing and development of detection systems and software including executing test plans and experiments in a laboratory setting
- Must comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Must comply with all applicable U.S. export and security regulations.
Other duties may be assigned
Education/Training: Advanced Degree or Equivalent Experience in an appropriate technical field (Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Medical Imaging, or Computer Science)
- Five or more years experience in developing computer algorithms, mathematics, physics, or related discipline.
- Experience with security imaging or detection products desired. Experience in related field (e.g. medical imaging) will be considered.
- Experience in the fields of machine learning, image processing, neural networks preferred.
Knowledge/Skills: Experience with Linux/Unix OS, Windows platforms
Programming Languages: Matlab, Mathematica, GPU coding (e.g. Cuda), C/C++, Java
- Image processing/algorithm expertise and experience
- Proficiency in typical office software such as MSOffice and Project
Security: The candidate must possess or be able to successfully obtain a US Security Clearance at the SECRET level