The Machine Learning Engineer supports the team of Data Scientists and Data Analysts in creating scalable, data-driven, customer-centric solutions, capable of operating in a production environment. This role possesses an in-depth knowledge of design, Machine Learning, AI/Deep Learning, software development, coding, testing and application programming and assists in aligning business and functional requirements with Data Science capabilities. They also demonstrate expertise in Machine Learning tools, Big datatechnologies and software, build processes and guide the team towards rapid deployment and scaling up of our Machine Learning capabilities across Footlocker’s on-line and offline platforms.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following;
- Provides the technical expertise and support to ensure that data products function effectively in a production environment.
- Creates workflows that manage the development, support, and release of production level code.
- Works closely with Data Scientists and Data Engineers to develop predictive algorithms.
- Operationalizes applications into stable builds which can then be deployed to the cloud or on-prem.
- Designs systems, alerts, and dashboards to monitor data products in production.
- Accesses data from a variety of sources, including RDMS, NoSQL, or API.
- Supports the Data Engineer and Architecture teams in defining the long-term technology roadmap for the team.
- Supportsother teams by advocating a testing first strategy to integrate A/B testing into all levels of product development.
- Creates measurement systems to continuously evaluate the performance of data products.
- Decomposes complex problem statements into specific deliverables and requirements.
- Creates prototypes for scalable Machine Learning Solutions using the latest methods and technologies.
- Leads program review sessions and collaborative exercises to build the team's overall analytical capability.
- Mentors junior team members and provides constructive critique on specific projects.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- The Machine Learning Engineer does not have direct supervisory responsibilities but they are expected to demonstrate leadership and mentor other team members.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications;
- 2 plus years of hands-on experience developing and deploying enterprise scale Machine Learning solutions.
- Experience working with large scale distributed systems (Hadoop, Spark).
- Advanced programming skills with Python, Scala, or R,
- Strong SQL skills and is comfortable operating with relational data models and structure.
- Advanced skills with NoSQL databases and can interact with large amounts of data stored in a Hadoop environment.
- Is capable of accessing data via a variety of API/RESTful services.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery workflows and supporting applications.
- Knowledge of cloud environments and architectures.
- The ability to work collaboratively with remote teams.
- Experience with containerization using tools such as Docker.
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux and Bash. Can interact with the OS at the command line and create shell scripts to automate workflows.
- Advanced understanding of software development and collaboration, including experience with tools such as Git.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable presenting in front of non-technical audiences.
Education and/or experience:
- A Master’s Degree or PhD. in a Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research or otherwise research-based field.
- 3 to 5years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The candidate must be able to communicate with others in a simple, clear, and understandable manner. Must also have the ability to read and interpret all forms of communication. The ability to write reports for management and professional correspondence, as well as to speak effectively before peers, management, customers, and otherassociates of the organization is required.
- The candidate must effectively plan and execute unusual and difficult work. Takes initiative and is decisive and quick, when appropriate, all while adhering to the team’s standards and patterns and practices. Must have the ability to solve complex problems and deal with ambiguity where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form, deals constructively with conflict and disagreement.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet; however positive, work-driven collaboration is encouraged.