Be Here! Be Great! Working for a leader in the insurance industry means a great opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work.
We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Specialty Loss Prevention Division is currently seeking a Loss Control Consultant who will provide technically competent loss prevention services and conduct onsite activities to help acquire and retain profitable business in accordance with the company and business teams' policies and objectives.
The person hired will work from their home and will travel within their territory, mainly in Ohio with some work in Michigan, Indiana and Northern Kentucky.
There is approximately 30-40% overnight travel on occasion. A company car will be provided, requiring a good driving record. Candidates should be located in the Central Ohio area--preferably Columbus or Dayton area.
- Surveys and services commercial risks of any size and/or complexity for all lines of coverage.
- Plans and coordinates all service account scheduling and activities for your assigned territory. Meets or exceeds all service standards.
- Accomplishes risk improvement by providing management consultation services and submitting recommendations for hazard control.
- Provides value-added customer services to insureds, agents, and company underwriting teams.
- Maintains good communications at all levels.
- Conducts professional activities in customer visits to help acquire and retain desirable customers.
- Participates in team selling efforts for large accounts. Assists assigned business teams with partnering with agency force.
- Assists in training commercial lines underwriters.
- Maintains specialized state of the art professional capabilities in LP support for one or more commercial lines products.
- Assists product development teams.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years loss prevention experience while working for an insurance carrier/company.
- Strong property and casualty loss prevention knowledge is required, including and the ability to evaluate commercial sprinkler systems for adequacy.
- Must have the following degrees of knowledge: 1.) Expert knowledge of underwriting and product management skills, 2.) Expert knowledge of Loss Prevention and marketing requirements for a least one commercial lines product, 3.) Broad knowledge of commercial lines of insurance coverage, engineering principles and Loss Prevention concepts, Safety standards and codes (i.e. OSHA, DOT, EPA, CPSC, NFPA, etc.).
- Maintenance of at least one of the following designations is given strong consideration when deciding to promote an individual to this position: 1.) Associate in Risk Management, 2.) Certified Fire Protection Specialist, 3.) Associate Safety Professional, 4.) Certified Safety Professional, 5.) Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in Safety and Health may be substituted for one of the professional designations.
- Must have conducted training programs and have extensively used computer programs to support functional activities.
- Excellent communication skills.