Be Here! Be Great! Working for a leader in the insurance industry means a great opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The Loss Control Department is currently seeking a Loss Control Consultant who will provide technically competent loss control services and conduct onsite activities to help acquire and retain profitable business in accordance with the company and business teams' policies and objectives.
The person hired will work from their home and will travel within their territory, mainly in and around Metropolitan New York, the 5 boroughs, West Chester County, and northern NJ. There is approximately 30-40% travel, including some overnights on occasion. A company car will be provided, requiring a good driving record.
- Surveys and services commercial risks of any size and/or complexity for all lines of coverage.
- Plans and coordinates all service account scheduling and activities for your assigned territory. Meets or exceeds all service standards.
- Accomplishes risk improvement by providing management consultation services and submitting recommendations for hazard control.
- Provides value-added customer services to insureds, agents, and company underwriting teams.
- Maintains good communications at all levels.
- Conducts professional activities in customer visits to help acquire and retain desirable customers.
- Participates in team selling efforts for large accounts. Assists assigned business teams with partnering with agency force.
- Assists in training commercial lines underwriters.
- Maintains specialized state of the art professional capabilities in LP support for one or more commercial lines products.
- Assists product development teams.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years loss control experience while working for an insurance carrier/company.
- Strong property and casualty loss control knowledge is required, including and the ability to evaluate commercial sprinkler systems for adequacy.
- Must have the following degrees of knowledge: 1.) Expert knowledge of underwriting and product management skills, 2.) Expert knowledge of Loss Control and marketing requirements for a least one commercial lines product, 3.) Broad knowledge of commercial lines of insurance coverage, engineering principles and Loss control concepts, Safety standards and codes (i.e. OSHA, DOT, EPA, CPSC, NFPA, etc.).
- Maintenance of at least one of the following designations is given strong consideration when deciding to promote an individual to this position: 1.) Associate in Risk Management, 2.) Certified Fire Protection Specialist, 3.) Associate Safety Professional, 4.) Certified Safety Professional, 5.) Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in Safety and Health may be substituted for one of the professional designations.
- Must have conducted training programs and have extensively used computer programs to support functional activities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Requires continuous and prolonged walking and standing.
- Requires frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of objects up to 50 lbs.
- Requires frequent climbing, bending, twisting, stooping, kneeling and crawling.
- Requires overhead reaching and grabbing.
- Requires regular and predictable attendance.
- Requires ability to conduct visual inspections.
- Requires work outdoors, in inclement weather conditions.
- Requires frequent travel.
- Requires ability to operate a motor vehicle.