This position oversees local logistics requirements for Gleason operations for inbound and outbound product movements, warehousing operations with regular interactions with global logistics: Assists in the development of worldwide logistics strategies, including the standardization of policies, procedures, processes, metrics, and business practices among Gleason operations and 3rd party logistics providers; Supports new product development and Low Cost Country Sourcing initiatives to cost-effectively source products & services; Interacts with local management, supply chain, service, sales, and contract management to determine best mode and lane of product shipment. Plans and conducts competitive analyses of key logistics’ suppliers; monitors and reports on Key Performance Indicators & metrics inclusive of operational performance, logistics’ supplier performance, industry trends, logistics cost drivers, and customer satisfaction relative to delivery.
- Early new product development involvement. Advise and participate, as necessary, on new product development teams to influence product size and its relation to modes of transportation, most efficient & effective shipment methods, container constraints, air cargo constraints, volumetric cost impacts, industry constraints, hazardous materials etc. Much of this knowledge is applicable to legacy products as well.
- Participate in, and lead as required, negotiations and contract management of all freight-based spending in conjunction with supply chain management. This can be local, regional, or global.
- Supplier management of all carriers, brokers, forwarders, third-party-payment providers. Coordinate with all Gleason plants to understand and assist, as necessary, in local logistics issues. Publish metrics of performance and cost drivers. Monitor and report supplier performance for all freight service providers.
- Capture and report on global transportation spend in aggregate and by mode.
- Monitor and report on industry trends affecting and cost drivers impacting the cost of transportation. Recommend alternatives, as necessary.
- Coordinate with insurance providers and internal management to execute root cause/corrective action activities for freight damage.
- Lane management and compliance to Gleason’s routing guide for inbound and outbound freight.
- Knowledge and change awareness of all applicable customs regulations, treaties, expirations of rulings etc. affecting Gleason products, subassemblies, or raw materials imports/exports.
- Advise on selection of proper Incoterms. Evaluating situational cost differences to determine the optimum shipping mode, lane, and cost.
- Assist in the landed cost calculations for inbound and outbound products.
- Active management and administration of duty drawback privileges, both direct and third party opportunities.
- Management & reporting of Foreign Trade Zone activities as applicable.
- Advise and consult with Gleason sales and operations in the discipline of international logistics.
- Act as single point of contact for customs related issues.
- Serve as Compliance Officer for local operations. Applicable to both import and export compliance. Monitor compliance to NAFTA, C-TPAT, AEO, and management of other registrations and certifications.
The person in this role carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Port experience or international logistics experience abroad a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in all transportation modes (air, ocean, parcel, LTL, multi-modal etc.)
- Must have specialized training or hands-on experience in compliance: C-TPAT, NAFTA, AEO, as well as other statutory or treaty requirements.
- Detailed knowledge of Customs & Border Protection requirements regarding international shipments.
- Ablility to analyze and present fact-based management reporting with recommendations.
- Detailed understanding of Harmonized Tariff Schedule requirements and Incoterms.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of Letters of Credit, their applicability and execution.
- Must have a demonstrated fluency in landed cost analysis. A working knowledge of import and export regulations of major countries/regions where Gleason sources or ships materials (China, Brazil, India, Eastern Europe, etc.)
- Advanced written, verbal, and presentation communication skills a must.
- Critical thinking, decision making, complex problem solving, project management, ability to lead, motivate and develop skills among colleagues.
- Ability to travel frequently both domestic