A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Logistics Director is responsible for managing a corporate support team responsible for supporting the procurement of cost effective, efficient and timely transportation services, both inbound and outbound, and domestic and international. Incumbent is responsible for identifying and developing industry leading logistics systems and practices. The Logistics Director will be responsible for facilitating the sharing of those systems and practices with all Valmont locations through the development of a Logistics Knowledge Center, a Logistics Playbook, and Logistics training materials. The Logistics Director is required to operate within a matrix managed organization so as well as directly determining the vision and direction of the function, it is required to influence and negotiate with other parts of the business to adopt and support its recommendations. The Logistics Director interacts with Division and Business Unit management including, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Accounting, Operations, Shipping and Receiving departments, with carrier management and transportation specialists, and with government regulatory authorities. The Director of Logistics must keep abreast of changes and trends within the transportation industry, including pricing, availability, business practices, etc., as well as with federal, state and local laws and regulations. With the changing nature of the global footprint, new sourcing, manufacturing plants as well as customer location it will be necessary to operate in a continuous improvement environment and review all regional logistics operations on an on-going basis and potentially create new logistics models that are fit for purpose and support the organization’s growth aspirations.
Primary responsibility will be for North American Operations and global activities supporting the North American Operations group. The position will also provide support to global business units outside of North American Operations as needed and will work with those business units toward the development of a global model.
- This position reports into the Vice President Supply Chain and currently has 4 direct reports and 19 indirect reports.
- This role requires up to 20% travel(internationally/domestically), including overnight stays.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Excellent communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills in planning and organizing to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to develop and sustain effective relationships with internal customers and external service providers.
- Capacity to build relationships internally and externally, solid oriented leadership skills.
- Ability to manage a team of logistics administrators in varied circumstances.
- Proven ability to negotiate effectively.
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Leads and manages the logistics team based in Valley, Nebraska that provides cost effective, efficient and timely transportation services, both inbound and outbound, and domestic and international, in support of the businesses located world-wide.
- Recruit, train, lead and manage an effective team of logistics coordinators and administrators.
- Develop and maintain relationships with transportation providers.
- Negotiate annual transportation agreements providing the best possible service and rates.
- Oversee the provision of effective support to those Valmont locations that procure transportation services independently, by providing subject matter expertise, news, information, etc. concerning the transportation industries.
- Supports the implementation, updating and successful use of systems intended to support the procurement of cost effective, efficient and timely transportation services, including The Mercury Gate Transportation Management System and the US Bank freight invoice auditing system and/or other systems as applicable.
- Establish and manage effective international logistics processes for the physical distribution of products as well as the administrative control and information flow.
- Supervise the development of forecasting techniques and forecasts for product mix, product demand, and sales. This requires working with management of various functions such as purchasing, production control, marketing, and sales.
- Conduct logistics service provider contract/agreement and pricing negotiations; implement and maintain logistics service provider performance metrics and periodic reporting.
- Conduct periodic survey of market available logistics service and pricing to assure current rates are competitive.
- Support procurement and buying resources when negotiating freight terms of purchase; resolve supplier side shipping/export issues.
- Provide operational leadership for the business’s distribution operations in order to meet/exceed the business’s demanding customer fulfillment requirements and cost objectives.
- Ensure all regulatory and compliance measures are met within state and federal guidelines.
- Oversee DOT compliance and function.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelors with 7+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 9+ years relevant experience or 11+ years of relevant experience.
- Production control/supply chain management experience in manufacturing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of TMS and MRP/ERP Systems.
- Strong understanding of local, state, and federal transportation regulations.
- Demonstrated ability of managing cost performance, supply/demand forecasting.
- Strong analytical, financial and P&L skills.
- Must possess advanced problem solving skills, with attention to detail.
- The ability to execute inventory improvement methods.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and discretion.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Project Management, Logistics, or related field preferred.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) preferred.
- Experience implementing a Transportation Management System preferred.
- APICS Certification preferred.