We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Starcraft to Cranium over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding, building and selling successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
As a Live Production Operations Manager at Skillz, you are a technical wizard, tactician, and live production guru all wrapped up into one person. You are hungry to tackle problems that no one else has faced before as you blaze a new trail through the live video landscape. You are capable of translating your vision and ambition into executable experiments, honestly evaluating data and results, and iterating further in pursuit of perfection.
Relishing the pressures of live content production, you can run a steady, organized ship while navigating the challenges of building a live-streaming infrastructure from the ground up. You can take direction as needed from leadership, but you’re confident enough in your abilities that you can execute on both broad and specific goals with minimal oversight.
If this sounds like you, then you’re who we’re looking for.
What you’ll do:
Like any offline sport, an eSport is comprised of players, gameplay, and spectators. As we build the future of eSports, we need to pioneer the viewer experience in the context of a new industry with brand new technologies. Skillz is launching a 24/7 real-time internet broadcast of our ongoing live events across a multitude of games on our platform. This broadcast provides a central location where players can come to watch and compete in live tournaments. Additionally, this platform has a local event component as well, with integration plans for everything from bars to NFL stadiums. We will rely on you to help plan, organize, execute, and grow the technical side of the nascent Skillz channel, engineering an experience that is irresistible to viewers, addictive to players, and valuable to brands. This includes:
- Pioneering technical solutions to help produce engaging spectator and user experiences through live streaming content.
- Working with our product and management teams to evolve our technical capabilities.
- Working on multidisciplinary teams to arrange and execute live local events, and special one-off streaming events.
- Managing a broad library of graphic, still, and video assets.
- Researching and coordinating with outside partners and vendors on local venue interfaces, and stream hand-offs with distribution platforms as necessary.
- Managing the day to day operations of our live studio, including schedule, and performing or arranging maintenance on equipment as necessary.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of experience in event content production, web production, TV production, or a combination thereof
- 1-3 years in a live production environment for web or TV, with a deep knowledge and understanding of a live streaming tech stack
- Experience producing live multi-platform broadcasts for sizable audiences
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively with other team members, product teams, brands, talent, and vendors in order to develop the most effective production processes
- A passion for living on the bleeding edge of media production