Freeman is a global leader in events. Whether virtual, in-person, or hybrid, Freeman is on a mission to redefine live for a new era. With a data-driven approach and the industry’s largest network of experts, Freeman’s insights shape exhibitions, exhibits, and events that drive audiences to action. The integrated full-service solutions leverage a 95-year legacy in event management as well as new technologies to deliver moments that matter.
The Technical Director develops, oversees, and directly implements creative concepts and strategy for clients. The role is responsible for technical leadership, management and staffing as it pertains to the production process from point of opportunity to point of completion. This role is responsible for the planning and coordinating of technical requirements for produced events.
This position will support our Production Technology team and will be eligible to work a hybrid schedule, generally requiring work in-office/ at show site 2-3 days per week based out of any of the following locations:
- Dallas, TX
- Chicago, IL
- Orlando, FL
- Nashville, TN
- Washington DC
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with clients, sales staff, operations, and project managers to develop event designs and to coordinate pre-production, onsite, and post-production activities in line with event budget.
- Negotiates client contracts on behalf of Client Solutions Manager.
- Partners with client to produce event media content.
- Creates diagrams and for shows based on budgeted designs; ensures on-site personnel have and understand this information.
- Assists in the scheduling and/or recommending of personnel to optimize resources.
- Oversees load-in, load-out, install, and dismantle of equipment.
- Coordinates and/or assists both technical and labor crews.
- Responsible for ensuring the correct specification setup and optimization of event requirements.
- Supervises the installation, optimization, and monitoring of technical systems.
- Oversees installation for full-time, part-time and contingent labor force.
- Directs workflow for teams at events with a high degree of complexity.
- Oversees scenic construction to ensure it is within established show design parameters.
- Produces stage scenic involving multiple elements, mediums, and materials.
- Produces events with multi-elements switching and cues.
- Generates and maintains a comprehensive production book and schedule for each event.
- Coordinates logistics with multiple vendors for all events needs.
- Coordinates and supervises on-site labor and review any labor budget impacts with Client Solutions Manager.
- Calls complex show cues for all technical disciplines.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and knowledge.
- Mentors production team and provides informal training programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum 10 years experience working in project management with a minimum of 8 years focused on corporate events, entertainment, or theater; or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Ability to engineer instructions in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to communicate how to install and troubleshoot various related equipment.
- Ability to incorporate advanced problem-solving techniques with labor team.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry to relevant situations.
- Ability to calculate figures such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Experience drawing system design in AutoCad or VectorWorks.
- Ability to develop and interpret AutoCad, VectorWorks, and/or architectural drawings and renderings.
- Proven aptitude in CAD programs and MS Office suite.
- In-depth knowledge base of audio, lighting, video, and set systems.
- Ability to navigate ambiguous situations.
- Diplomacy and tact in high-pressure situations involving different personality types.
- Participation in formal leadership training.
- Experience delivering formal training programs to diverse groups.
- Strong general business acumen.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- PMP certification preferred.
Travel 25% to 50%
At Freeman, our commitment to diversity and inclusion is helping us to create not only a great place to work, but also an environment where our employees, our customers and our communities around the world can reach their goals and connect with each other. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status and other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.