The Linux / UNIX Engineer I is responsible for administering Linux & UNIX servers. This position works across multiple departments and teams in support of delivering services to OneNeck clients while ensuring effectiveness and efficiency. The Linux / UNIX Engineer continuously develops work instructions to ensure technical activities are conducted in a controlled and repeatable manner. This position also develops technical plans, conducts technical reviews, and executes upon plans in support of incident, change, and problem management efforts.
- Be an escalation point for issues and requests that cannot be serviced by other groups, working issue to resolution, improving upon process, procedure, and knowledge to reduce future escalations.
- Be a member of project teams in the planning and delivery of activities to support on-time and on-budget completion.
- Continuously identify and own problems and/or opportunities for improvement; working toward developing and deploying temporary and permanent fixes.
- Conduct technical peer reviews of change plans and activities; providing recommendations, guidance, and authorization as appropriate.
- Continually develop and enhance technical operating procedures and documentation to improve upon efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Periodically construct and facilitate training with other groups in support of increasing capabilities, efficiencies, and effectiveness. Provide input on architecture, roadmaps, and best practice standards.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) OR 4+ years of professional experience.
- 3+ years of Linux / UNIX administration experience.
- Availability to consult, assist and/or perform after-hours support and participate in on-call rotations.
- HP-UX, Redhat, AIX, Solaris and/or ITIL V3 foundation certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Puppet Enterprise a plus.
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Advanced analytical, statistical, and problem solving skills.
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction and quality.
- Results and execution oriented, self-motivated requiring minimal supervision.
- Advanced communication skills regarding project teams and management.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office application.