The Linux System Engineer (SE) is responsible for the design, implementation, engineering and administration of Linux computing systems hardware, software, and storage infrastructure supporting a 24x7 mission-critical environment. These systems are core components of IT infrastructure supporting a large e-commerce website, plant operations, delivery logistics and general business services
The preferred candidate is a self-starter and well-rounded professional with strong knowledge in systems, storage, security, and networking. The candidate is passionate about technology and eager to work with team members in a fast paced environment eveloping solutions supporting business objectives. Candidate will lead or support numerous exciting projects including support for a large-scale, multi-year program transforming IT infrastructure into a hybrid environment consisting of modern local servers and storage systems with physical servers and virtual server instances connected to storage area networks; cloud technology; and hosted solutions. Many of these projects will include disaster recovery and business continuity deliverables and general alignment with best practices.
· Architect systems infrastructure solutions to deliver business applications and content to customers at low latency and high throughput
· Proactively improve engineering, implementation, and maintenance standards for systems supporting e-Commerce transactions, manufacturing operations, and corporate processes
· Collaborate with peers to formalize systems engineering, application support, and operation processes and procedures, based on industry standards (ITL, ISO, COBIT), and best practices
· Investigate and resolve system performance bottlenecks and platform instability
· Manage system deployment lifecycle and help enforce Change Management Policies
· Engineer and implement fault tolerant, multi-site, distributed computing platform to support business growth
· Develop a framework to provide performance baseline and improvement for critical business applications
· Continuously study the overall information and computing needs of the company, and leverage technology to provide cost effective solutions
· Elaborate strategy to deliver business value by using evolving infrastructure technology: cloud technology (IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, and others), Managed Service Provider, etc.
· Assist in developing, implementing, and enforcing systems security policies and procedures
· Collaborate with Information Security Team to implement and regularly test systems security controls
· Assist with improving and enforcing incident management policies and procedures
· Assist with managing system related compliance tasks (PCI)
· Provide third level escalation for operation problems and incidents
· Resolve issues within prescribed SLA's and adhere to incident management procedures
· Collaborate with peers on vendor and technology productselection process
· Perform Linux virtualization implementation, support and upgrades
· Work with application development team and internal clients on creating systems requirements, projection and growth
· Support enterprise data protection backup/recovery system
· Act as engineering liaison between Systems, Application, DBA, QA, Network and other groups
· Monitor technology changes, advancements, trends and innovations
· Part of on-call support rotation
· Mentor less experienced team members
- BS / BA degree in computer Science, Information Systems or related field
- Requires minimum 5 years of related systems administration experience with at least 4 years in a system engineering role
- Red HatCertified System Administrator (RHCSA) or higher preferred
- VMware CertifiedAssociate – Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DEV) or higher preferred
- Additional years of systems administration or system engineering experience may be substituted for degree requirement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of the Linux Kernel and hands-on experience with various Linux distribution: Red Hat 5,6, Oracle Linux 7.5
- Strong knowledge of virtualization technology: VMware (vCenter, ESX 6.5 and above )
- Possess in-depth working knowledge of Linux file systems and storage architecture
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP, HTML, HTTP, SSL, SSH, SFTP,DNS, Apache, Tomcat and LDAP
- Understanding of database and web application concept and architecture: Oracle, MSQL
- Familiarity with database connection methodologies: ODBC and JDBC
- Understanding of system and storage design appropriate to support oracle database and Tomcat application server
- Hands-on experience with system and storage hardware: IBM x series, Dell, HP 3Par and EMC
- Basic understanding of storage and SAN technology: virtual disk, LUNs, snapshot, replication and thin provisioning
- Application/server load balancing and content delivery concept and technology: Citrix NetScaler knowledge preferred
- Experience in developing vendor and technology product score cards as part of technology selection process
- Strong understanding of Linux security principles, defense in-depth, firewalls, IPS/IDS, identity management, authentication and encryption
- Familiarity with vulnerability scanning tools: Alert Logic Preferred
- Possess in-depth working knowledge of Linux patch management and related information security functions
- Experience in log management processes using Splunk, Elastic Search preferred
- Proven track record in designing and implementing highly available, scalable, resilient and fault tolerant systems platform
- Knowledge of cloud computing technology: PaaS, IaaS, SaaS, etc.
- Experience in disaster recovery and business continuity principles and methodologies
- Experience in designing and maintaining back-up/restore, archiving, and data protection strategy using local and online backup solutions for physical and virtualized systems
- Strong knowledge of monitoring principles and tools: Nagios and SolarWinds Orion preferred Ability to articulate issues in business and technical terms
- Must have experience in an operational Linux administration role supporting mission-critical platforms, including physical and virtualized environments.
- Strong hands-on knowledge of systems automation techniques in order to increase systems administration efficiency and support. 3rd party products experience such as Puppet, Ansible .
- Strong working knowledge of Linux shell and scripting languages such as Perl, Bash and Python
- Solid understanding of IP network technologies and software tools for performance monitoring and troubleshooting
- Must be familiar with and willing to implement open source solutions and tools where appropriate
- Knowledgeable of systems auditing process and controls. SOX and PCI compliance experiences a plus.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently, but also within a team.
- Experience in managing third party vendor relationship
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of industry standards and frame work (ITIL, ISO, COBIT) a plus
- Must be willing to work off-hours/weekends to support operational needs
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to communicate with customers, vendors, partners, and business managers across various levels of the organization.
- Well organized, attentive to details and able to meet demanding deadlines