About US SSL is a leading provider of commercial satellites and spacecraft systems, with broad expertise to support satellite operators and innovative space related missions.
The company designs and manufactures spacecraft for services such as direct-to-home television, video content distribution, broadband internet, mobile communications, and Earth observation. Based in the heart of the Silicon Valley, SSL's advanced product line also includes state-of-the art small satellites, and sophisticated robotics and automation solutions for remote operations. A career with SSL could shape your future in ways that you've never imagined.
Due to the nature of our business, SSL has export control and security sensitivities that require all of our employees to be a United States Citizen, Permanent Resident of the United States, an Asylee, or a Refugee. SSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Job Description
We are seeking a Linux System Administrator. In this role you will be responsible for the administration of satellite ground control and test systems. In particular, you will be responsible for installing, configuring and maintaining Linux (CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu) on servers and end-user stations. Additional duties includes repairing computers, making network connections, writing scripts and other tasks
An ideal applicant is one who: (1) is methodical, attentive, and does proactive preparation, (2) likes working in small teams of System Administrators and Software Engineers, (3) is willing to work off hours when problems arise (4) is able to quickly isolate issues (whether in software or hardware), and is able to resolve problems on their own.
This position will provide you the opportunity to work with a great team on exciting projects which help support the design, manufacture, test and launch of our satellites.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and minimum 5 Years (or equivalent years of experience in lieu of education)
- Must have previous Linux Systems Administration experience in a professional or educational environment
- Strong understanding of IP based networking, subnets, switching, hardware and cabling
- Strong understanding of computer hardware, replacing disks, memory, CPU's, GPU's, & PSU's
- Must be able to setup and configure Debian, CentOS, & Ubuntu systems from scratch
- Knowledge of HTTP(S), SMTP, LDAP, DNS, DHCP, NTP and otherinternet protocols
- In-depth experience with SSH, SCP, NFS, DD, TAR, RSYNC, SNMP, X11, VNC, & Remote Desktop
- Experience setting up and maintaining KVM/QEMU environment
- Shell scripting is a great asset to this position, Bash and/or Perl / Python
- Experience working with revision control systems such as SVN and/or Mercurial
- Experience working with JBOD, software, and hardware based raid arrays in Linux
Beneficial, but not required, for applicant to have knowledge of the following:
- Experience setting up Windows 7 or 10 systems
- Knowledge of network boot environments
- Experience creating and debugging Linux preseed & kickstart environments
- Experience creating and debugging custom Linux based firewalls
- Experience maintaining local Linux repositories and creating custom packages
- Experience with automation systems such as salt, puppet, or Jenkins
- Experience with DRBD, GlusterFS, or other Linux HA environments