Level 1 Software Engineer
Less than 5 years experience • Software
Like building web apps, creative user interfaces and interactive data visualizations using modern web libraries? Can you tell us why the TSP is NP-complete? Do you want to make a difference in the world? Send us a line!
We are the Visual Analytics group; we make sense out of data through human computer interaction, data wrangling and interactive visualizations. Have you ever wanted to see the distribution of car dealerships in your area that offer the best deals? Perhaps you want to know which news sources present the least bias in their work. Do you know the optimal layout of a regional power grid? Or even your home sprinkler system? Data analysis and visualization is how we help people answer those kinds of questions. Do you think in pictures? Do you try to find interesting ways to render data you encounter? We want to talk to you.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Interact with complex datasets from a variety of domains: energy generation and distribution, molecular structures, open-source information, biochemical technologies, medical applications
- Bring user/data requirements and design mock ups to life
- Create interactive web-based user interface components and data visualizations
- Develop unit and integration test cases for front-end components
- Work closely with researchers, sponsors, teammates and subject matter experts to rapidly build, test, and deploy new capabilities
TASKS YOU MIGHT WORK ON:
- Working with a senior developer to implement a reusable graph visualization using D3 to visualize power grid connectivity across the United States
- Create a React component as part of a larger React + Redux application that visualizes different dimensions of a cyber-security dataset
- Implement an algorithm published in a journal for free-text analysis
WHY WE SHOULD TALK:
- You want to work in a lively environment full of scientists, engineers, and subject matter experts who love learning and thinking creatively
- You want to have impact on people's lives and national security problems
- You want to build novel solutions to complex problems
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
- Computer science degree
- Demonstrable coursework or hands-on experience in front-end development
- Security clearance from the United States government or ability to be approved for one
Operating on the data-information-knowledge continuum, staff at PNNL employ diverse methods to confront significant problems of national interest—from distilling distributed data into knowledge that supports decision processes, to enabling resilient technologies that enhance computing at extreme scales, to equipping cyber defenders with tools that prevent damaging cyber-attacks.
Our research portfolio—spanning from basic to applied—includes data and computational engineering, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, semantic and human language technologies, machine learning, data and computing architectures, systems integration, and software and application development.
Computing researchers and practitioners work side by side to apply advanced theories, methods, algorithms, models, evaluation tools and testbeds, and computational-based solutions address complex scientific challenges affecting energy, biological sciences, the environment, and national security.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Bachelor's degree with 0-1 years of experience Master's degree with 0-1 years of experience
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307439