Burlington is a nationally recognized retailer of high quality, branded apparel at everyday low prices. The company currently serves its customers through over 590 stores in 45 states and Puerto Rico. Burlington offers a wide selection of brand name clothing, coats, shoes, and accessories for the whole family. Most locations also have our unique Home Store which includes a large selection of linens, home furnishings and gifts, as well as our world-class store within a store, Baby Depot, providing an outstanding collection of baby gear, furniture, bedding, and clothing.
Within his or her practice area, the Legal Specialist has the following major duties:
- Perform legal research and analysis on federal, state and local laws on a national level, present findings and make recommendations on necessary next steps. Draft proposed changes to legal documentation when necessary.
- Knowledge and ability to examine complex real estate title documentation and use discretion to identify and communicate issues and independently resolve title issues with title insurers, landlords, lenders and opposing counsel.
- Understanding of shopping center lease administration and real property management processes and the ability to respond to emergency property management and other situations when needed.
- Participate in, and often manage, special projects within his or her practice area, including review of portfolio acquisitions of store locations from bankruptcy, internal chain wide surveys of legal documentation, distribute responsibilities to administrative and other staff, and present findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Advanced understanding of complex real estate documentation, including subordination agreements and estoppels and the ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in negotiating and influencing legal and business positions with opposing counsel in connection with such documentation.
- Interact with local zoning, tax, building, planning and recorder’s offices in connection with conducting due diligence on properties, resolving property/construction disputes and issues and recording and filing applicable real estate legal documentation
- Interact with senior level management and possess the paraprofessional ability to understand real estate documentation and provide explanations when approached with legal questions by partner business units within the company.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a large firm, REIT, title insurance company or in-house counsel team of a national retailer.
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Strong analytical writing skills
- Exceptional organization skills, ability to multitask and prioritize work activity based on need, attention to detail, initiative and follow-through skills
- Proactive mindset with strong deadline orientation
- Ability to learn difficult concepts quickly while creating and implementing creative solutions
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, document management systems (Lucernex), lease administration systems and e-billing
- Ability to work in a team and independently
At a minimum, a Paralegal Certificate is required. A college degree is preferred.
Our ideal candidates will be self motivated, team players, who have the desire to succeed. We care about our employees, have a supportive environment that values trust and respect, offer a competitive wage and benefits package that includes a generous paid time off plan, plus an associate discount, and a company matched 401(k) to name a few.
Requisition ID: 1134316