The Legal Operations Manager will be responsible for collaborating with the Chief Legal Officer and senior Legal team leadership to implement the Legal team’s strategy and lead change management, with an emphasis on driving the strategic planning and execution of key initiatives that increase operational efficiencies and oversees all operations related to the Legal function across the globe. This professional will also manage the day-to-day operation of payment processes, billing, and various administrative support matters. This role provides leadership and program management to the Legal Department’s capability, operational and communications initiatives, and ensures the proper systems, processes and tools are in place to deliver Legal services in the most efficient and cost-effective manner, including supporting both internal and outside counsel management.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for development, implementation and enhancement of department processes, systems and tools.
- Translate the CLO team goals and priorities into a strategic plan and subsequently, with members of the CLO team, drive, track, and report progress of such plan.
- Coordination of team communications (e.g. newsletters) and organizing development programs for the legal department, including but not limited to, leadership team meetings, all hands meetings, training programs and legal team retreats.
- Work closely with contracts managers to continuously improve internal and external commercial contracting processes.
Outside Counsel and Vendor Management
- Design, implement, and oversee a comprehensive external legal resource management program that encompasses managed services, vendors, and law firms and that includes tools, policies and processes for outside counsel expenses.
- In collaboration with Chief legal Officer, manage strategic selection of law firm and drive performance of Legal vendors (both outside counsel and vendors) to optimize efficiency and reduce spend, while ensuring quality in services.
- Benchmark performance, rates and other engagement terms, and drive the use
of alternative fee structures and billing arrangements.
- Own CLO technology solutions, such as contract management, records management, matter management, docketing, e-billing and workflow automation tools, to drive efficiency, collaboration and departmental alignment.
- Develop and oversee electronic filing system with all company contracts and other important documents to facilitate collaborative sharing of information amongst legal team.
- Liaise with the IT team on identifying, implementing, integrating, and optimizing applications and tools, and building internal tools and automation capabilities.
- Centralize, formalize, and update various information that should be accessible to the entire team including the Legal Ops/Legal Team Wiki.
Human Resources/Office Operations
- Work with members of the legal team to drive, track, and report progress.
- Ensure cross-functional alignment and create and drive relationships with other key company functions, such as HR, IT, Finance and Real Estate/Facilities.
- Implement/Manage Legal team metrics, benchmarking, and reporting.
- Create onboarding mechanisms and lead onboarding efforts for all new hires and contractors to ensure transition is efficient & effective.
- Collaborate with Legal People Managers to lead the hiring efforts from creating job descriptions to aligning with the HR Team.
- Manage calendaring, submit expense reports and provide other administrative support as needed
- Assist legal leadership team with day-to-day department operations, including managing purchase requisitions, payment of all legal bills, general reporting, budgeting, and financial management.
- Develop, implement, and manage vendor cost reduction strategies, including fee arrangement negotiations, onboarding and offboarding, payment processes, and governance of billing guidelines.
- Advise on the Legal team’s budget planning, including partnering with the Finance team to monitor budget constraints and actual performance against budgets and forecasts, identify spending trends, potential cost savings, and efficiency opportunities.
- BA or BS
- 5+ years of experience with legal operations and management in-house or at a law firm.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively manage the operations of the global Legal Department, including executing change management initiatives.
- Exceptional communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills and ability to express ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Exceptional management, prioritization and organizational skills • Experience reporting to and effectively interacting with senior leadership.
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork and collaboration in a professional setting; respect for all levels of employees.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite of products.