- We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you’re an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financiallaw coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
- The Investment Banking Division Legal Group (IBD Legal) provides legal advice and investment banking transaction execution expertise to the Firm’s Investment Banking Division (“IBD”) worldwide. It is the mission of IBD Legal to provide high-quality legal and policy advice relating to the Firm’s broad investment banking businesses and help ensure value-added execution of transactions undertaken by IBD while protecting the interests of Goldman Sachs. IBD Legal is involved in virtually every investment banking and capital markets financing transaction and has a wide range of responsibilities, which vary in response to the needs of different product areas, industries and regions. The role of IBD Legal is dynamic, has evolved over time and is expected to continue to evolve in response to the changing needs of Goldman Sachs’s many businesses.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Coverage of the Public Sector & Infrastructure Business (“PSI”) within IBD – Act as primary internal legal coverage for IBD’s municipal securities business and work closely with PSI bankers and public sector clients to execute tax-exempt and taxable transactions, project financing transactions and financial advisory assignments. Responsibilities vary depending on the situation, but usually include advising on and assessing Firm legal and reputational risks, reviewing and negotiating documents, identifying and resolving policy issues and procedural questions and resolving legal issues.
- Other Financing and Financial Advisory Matters – While a majority of time would be devoted to supporting the PSI business, some portion of time would be spent working with corporate clients on public and private offerings, tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations as well as reviewing and negotiating the terms of financial advisory engagement letters relating to strategic transactions and private placement agency agreements.
- Legal Advisor to IBD Generally – Advise IBD bankers on legal, policy, reputational and commercial issues on specific IBD matters (e.g., conflicts, business practices, non-standard opinions, regulatory issues, conducting business in new markets around the globe).
- Policies and Procedures – Advise on, develop and implement new policies, standard procedures, documentation and best practices in response to changes in law and regulation as well as business practices and objectives.
- Training – Train bankers on new developments, best practices and legal and compliance matters.
- Lawyer with a minimum of five years of experience (would also consider candidates with a different experience profile)
- Candidate must demonstrate a strong grounding in municipal securities law and securities and corporate law generally
- Relevant experience either with a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel
Previous in-house counsel experience covering a municipal securities business within a financial institution