Legal Counsel- Public Sector
Legal | San Francisco, California, Chicago, Illinois, Seattle Washington Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what's right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you'll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live. The team
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications. This position
The Legal Counsel will be a highly qualified, team-oriented transactional attorney with substantial technology experience that will provide contracts drafting, negotiation, and management, as well as general commercial advice and regulatory compliance support, particularly with regard to partner and vendor relationships in the Public Sector. We are looking for a high performer who is adaptable, loves to learn and operates with a high degree of integrity. Success at DocuSign requires a roll-up your sleeves, "get it done" attitude, lots of initiative, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with lots of change and ambiguity.
This position is an Individual Contributor and reports to Senior Director, Associate General Counsel. Responsibilities
- Draft and negotiate subscription/cloud, consulting agreements for customer and partner SaaS offerings.
- Lead Legal's efforts in defining and developing US and international partner and channel programs and related corporate policies, procedures and programs, as well as legal templates and training.
- Lead Legal's efforts in developing, drafting, and negotiating all aspects of Public Sector contracts for our SLED/FED businesses. This will include working with direct sales and resellers on the appropriate contracts, monitoring and maintaining the status of those contracts, and providing the necessary reporting.
- Provide counsel and guidance to management, global business units, sales/marketing teams, and other business organization, and supporting the risk management function and regulatory compliance including in areas such as data security, privacy, export controls, intellectual property management, antitrust/anti-competition, and Public Sector.
- Summarize technical & non-technical information to key stakeholders and executives to facilitate an understanding of contract scope, nuances, deviations, key terms, and acceptance of contract.
• 12+ years of Public Sector and/or technology transactional experience -- drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of customer and partner transactions such as subscription, SaaS reseller, OEM, strategic partnerships, consulting partnerships, and inbound/outbound licensing agreements. Preferred Qualifications
Federal sales contracts
• Exceptional academic and law firm credentials, admitted into and in good standing with at least one state bar.
• Strong understanding of data privacy and data security, particularly in the SaaS industry.
• Strong commercial experience with at least Public Sector customer and resell partners, including understanding Contracts Management principles and ability to craft and implement legal policies and training, as well as experience reviewing, revising, drafting, negotiating, and advising on sophisticated and complex contracts, such as services agreements, sales agreements, marketing/ advertising, professional services agreements, technology agreements, partner, and vendor agreements.
• Strong professional judgment, practicality, and client service focus. Proactive and able to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment. Excellent analytic and communication skills, with ability to act on best information available and not wait for absolute certainty.
• Strong commercial experience with at least customer or channel/partners (and with both is desirable), including understanding Contracts Management principles and ability to craft and implement legal policies and training, as well as experience reviewing, revising, drafting, negotiating, and advising on sophisticated and complex contracts, such as services agreements, sales agreements, marketing/advertising, professional services agreements, technology agreements, partner, and vendor agreements.
• Solid knowledge of anti-competition and antitrust laws as related to working with partners, especially channel and distribution partners.
• Strong judgment, attention to detail, interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated teaming ability to work well with, influence, and inform diverse groups, including peers and clients.
• Able to effectively deal with high-volume, rapid cycles, multiple assignments, concurrent deadlines, and changing priorities.
• Takes initiative and accepts personal responsibility for work, attention to detail and ability to embrace ambiguity.
• Team attitude that no job is too big or too small.
• Talent for thinking outside of the box in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems. About us
DocuSign® helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, hundreds of thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. Plus, we save more trees together! And that's a good thing.
DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DocuSign is committed to building a diverse team of talented individuals who bring different perspectives to the discussion and who feel a sense of inclusion and belonging when they join our team. Individuals seeking employment at DocuSign are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.