Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission .
The Competition Law Group helps the company comply with the competition and antitrust laws around the world, close mergers and acquisitions, and respond to investigations. We also engage with regulators, academics, and others to consider the role of competition and antitrust law in the face of our changing economy and the development of new technology. It requires a broad understanding of our industry and our customers, technology, the political environment and the law as well as the ability to effectively collaborate and communicate across disciplines to solve problems.
- Subject Expertise - You demonstrate a strong understanding of competition and antitrust law and principles, and review, interpret, and analyze legal information.
- Legal Advice and Counsel - You act as the primary competition and antitrust advisor for one or more major business groups, products, or corporate functions and you identify and anticipate highly complex legal and/or other issues; you serve as a key business partner and advisor to senior executives and advise them on the potential impact of competition and antitrust laws on the business; you identify and engage stakeholders in Corporate, External and Legal Affairs and escalate and drive decisions.
- Solution Implementation - You develop solutions that anticipate and mitigate legal and other risks; you manage and develop relationships with outside counsel and clients to create strategic and innovative solutions that address issues and achieve business objectives; you provide feedback and evaluate process improvements that increase efficiencies.
- Communication - You develop relationships with external and internal legal professionals, academics, government officials, customers, and/or partners to protect and advocate Microsoft's interests and drive results; you take an active role in external outreach initiatives to expand Microsoft's outreach; you collaborate with internal teams and senior leaders to ensure a Corporate, External and Legal Affairs voice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analytical Thinking - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Judgment - The ability to compare, contrast, and analyze data, people, situations, etc. to formulate a valid conclusion.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Relationship Management - The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with supervisors, staff, managers, customers, and vendors. This includes expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others, being approachable, taking time to address the concerns of coworkers, and treating others with respect and dignity.
- Client Communications - The ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically and effectively to an audience that may include, staff, investors, stockholders, stakeholders, clients, and others verbally and through announcements, newsletters, memos, annual reports, status reports, and other media.
- Global Mindset - Knowledge and understanding of global cultures, including similarities and differences. This includes the ability to work across organizational, functional, and geographic boundaries to drive communications, business strategies and multi-geography projects and teams; and adapt to a highly matrixed environment.
- Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship OR Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 5 + years experience as a practicing attorne y primarily in the area of competition and antitrust law.