We are looking to hire our first in-house legal counsel. The right candidate will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, grow with our business, and ultimately help build and develop our internal legal processes to assist our global staff. This critical legal counsel hire plays a key role in the organization, coordination, and management of our legal function while working closely with all other departments at Mattermost as well as external counsel. The role will report directly to VP Finance and Operations.
- Be a key member of the deal desk process by drafting, negotiating, and concluding commercial software licensing agreements and other legal contracts with our customers and channel partners in the U.S. and worldwide
- Be a key member of the procurement process by drafting, negotiating, and concluding purchase agreements with vendors
- Serve as a key member of the team designing, monitoring and improving our contracts and our legal, sales and corporate practices
- Prioritize, organize, and manage legal projects, as well as other day-to-day legal matters including corporate governance and compliance initiatives
- Work closely with external counsel in specific areas such as open source, IP, privacy security and employment counsel
- Actively monitor relevant legal and regulatory developments
- JD from accredited U.S. law school; licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state
- At least four years of professional experience at a law firm and/or a legal department of an international software company. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years at a respected law firm plus at least two years in an in-house legal counsel position
- A keen understanding of issues relevant to copyright, software licensing, and software-as-a-service
- Demonstrable direct client/customer negotiation experience
- Great people, listening and communication skills; you are able to communicate effectively to different internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a remote-first work environment
- Flexibility in your working hours to ensure smooth communication within our distributed organization
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with basic revenue recognition rules is a plus.