Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of more than 600 individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, developers, artists, writers, designers, engineers, producers, product managers, analysts and marketing experts! Together we develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Early Learning Academy® is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 8 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we're looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
As Age of Learning continues scaling our work to provide effective digital learning products for children, our four-person Legal Department is expanding to serve the growing needs of a dynamic, mission-driven technology company.
We are seeking an outstanding and versatile attorney to serve as Counsel - Marketing. This role primarily supports a dynamic and experienced marketing and branding team delivering our digital education products to children and families but will also support product teams and be an integral part of the Legal Department.
You will work on a wide array of advertising and marketing materials, including television advertising, digital marketing review, affiliate marketing, and influencer agreements. You will also serve as a trusted partner to assigned product teams, including providing advice and counsel on new features and functionality and related product development.
- Provide proactive, strategic counsel to marketing clients for legal and regulatory compliance for various advertising and marketing campaigns and materials with a concentration in direct-to-consumer marketing and sales through online and app-based initiatives
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of advertising and marketing agreements, including affiliate marketing, sponsorship and influencer agreements, and vendor contracts related to media buying and advertising technologies
- Review and advise on television and other advertising campaigns that include educational efficacy and other claims
- Work with product teams to review product features, new applications, and initiatives to ensure legal compliance for Age of Learning digital education products such as ABCmouse and Adventure Academy
- Proactively develop and drive strategic projects and initiatives aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness of legal services and proactive risk management, including through new templates, training, and processes, and building legal playbooks
- Prepare and conduct training for managers and employees on relevant legal topics
- Become an active partner with marketing and product leadership by building key relationships, responding promptly, and being proactive about guiding the business in a way that minimizes risk and maintains company goals
- Juris Doctorate and admission to State Bar in good standing
- 5+ years of proven legal experience, including in-house experience counseling on advertising, products, and privacy
- Highly motivated and detail-oriented individual, with the ability to proactively own and organize a substantial workload and demonstrate excellent analytical abilities
- Subject matter expertise in marketing, consumer protection laws, and standards, including Section 5 of the FTC Act, ROSCA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, and CCPA
- Experience drafting, negotiating and advising on advertising and marketing agreements
- Experience in intellectual property matters, including licensing, copyrights, and trademarks
- Working knowledge of data issues, data monetization, and the digital advertising ecosystem
- Able to deal with ambiguity and develop creative and pragmatic solutions for complex and revolving issues in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to build positive and respectful relationships internally and externally and develop collaborative working relationships in a team environment
- Experience working in consumer e-commerce or for a fast-growing technology company
- Experience in children's privacy
- Experience in educational efficacy claims
Age of Learning currently provides:
- 90% - 100% of health and welfare benefit premiums
- A 401(k) program with employer match
- 15 paid vacation days plus 11 observed national paid holidays
- Team bonding events and a highly collaborative environment
- Commitment to Equal Opportunity Employment in addition to an inclusive and supportive company culture
- Access to our internal DEI Task Force that focuses on ensuring our products represent all children on a global scale
- Opportunities for professional growth through professional learning and development programs
- A temporary 100% remote work environment, due to COVID restrictions, to help ensure the safety of our employees
- Monthly internet stipend provided due to temporary remote work environment