The Global Legal Affairs (GLA) team is responsible for all of HP’s legal matters, including government relations, brand security, intellectual property, ethics and compliance and legal counsel representation in every region. We are a mix of attorneys and non-attorneys. We value teamwork, engagement, honesty, forward thinking and open communication. We are proud of the culture we have created. By bringing together varied perspectives, we challenge each other and develop new and creative solutions. We want to find, grow and keep the very best employees in industry by valuing differences, offering amazing careers and having fun.
The Legal Counsel will primarily support end-user sales transactions with United States state and local government, and education (SLED) customers, as well as take on projects as necessary within the North America legal team.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented and experienced contracts attorney with experience in public sector markets, as well as desire to become agile by supporting the entire North America legal team as needed. The successful candidate will be able to expand their skills working with a highly experienced and talented team. The position is an individual contributor role and will report to the Manager and Senior Counsel.
In this role you will:
- Provide legal expertise in support of the entire HP Inc. portfolio for SLED end-user customers, specifically Hardware (PC and Print), Software, Support and Managed Services.
- Act as a deal lead including the overall legal strategies and assessment of risk on larger, more complex Managed Services deals while working closely with account and pursuit teams and other stakeholder groups.
- Advise on SLED procurement regulations and HP policies and contract positions, working with the SLED Senior Counsel as needed.
- Routinely exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and criteria for achieving objectives.
- Contribute to the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the business teams on legal issues and legal impact of business issues.
- Draft and negotiate legal contract terms; identify business issues for business team support.
- Provide legal support for SLED competitive bids, including responding to end-user legal terms.
- Identify and resolve complex legal issues requiring in-depth consideration of multiple factors.
- Lead or assist with the resolution of contract disputes with existing customers.
- Plan and provide training to internal clients on designated legal topics.
- Support GLA’s commitment to continuous improvement by identifying and leading solutions with GLA and internal clients to improve quality.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have:
- a Juris Doctor from a nationally recognized law school plus an active bar membership from any of the fifty states or the District of Columbia;
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience (from a combination of law firm, government, and/or in-house experience) in the area of public sector contracting;
- experience representing a major IT company on contracts matters a plus.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Prior negotiation experience in complex transactions.
- Subject matter expertise on key legal topics including liability, indemnities, intellectual property and privacy/data protection.
- Knowledge of industry norms and of the legal and business issues unique to IT products and services.
- Possess practical, independent judgment, initiative, and self-confidence.
- Willing and able to solve challenges; able to work with minimal direction and supervision; proactive, not reactive; thrive in change.
- Proactive and effective communicator of valuable information to clients and colleagues.
- Capable of presenting or escalating issues effectively to high-level legal, account and business executives.
- Adopts a growth mindset approach.
- The ability to travel as needed.