HP’s Global Legal Affairs provides expert legal advice and support to achieve business objectives by protecting HP’s intellectual property, counseling clients, minimizing business risk, and capitalizing on business trends. This organization uses a variety of individuals with legal expertise to promote a legally compliant, and healthy HP, including individuals who have experience as: Generalist Attorneys, Specialty Attorneys, Regional Attorneys, Paralegals, Contract Negotiators, Contract Administrators, Contract Support, Government Relations, Global Trade, and Global Equity Administrators.
Legal Counsel leading the new Healthcare legal team will be responsible for the operational success, strategic alignment and integration of activities with other major organizational functions. Acts as primary legal advisor to the HP200A team. Identifies legal risk and recommends solutions that help address the client’s objectives. Represents HP in transactions, interactions, or disputes with customers, suppliers, partners, and competitors. Balances the business interests of client groups with ultimate fiduciary responsibility to HP.
The successful candidate would be fully accountable for the success of legal support to the HP200A team. Influences strategy and sets policy and direction. Owns a significant number of measurable functional, operational and strategic goals and priorities. Assumes responsibility for the successful implementation of business plans in a defined area of responsibility. Contributes to the overall strategic definition of a function with strong business acumen. Acts as a key advisor to executive management in influencing the strategic direction of the business.
- Manages the full range of legal strategies and responsibilities, and the legal team for the Healthcare group. Serves as a trusted advisor to the HP200A management team on legal and commercial and government relations.
- Leads product counseling for services and products at the GBU level including data privacy, IP, ECO, competition, compliance and other relevant regulatory issues
- Supports GBU in GTM activities and deployments of commercial strategies through the regions.
- Provides legal and commercial counseling on incident management, including managing environmental health and safety issues.
- Manages a team of attorneys and potentially other legal professionals all supporting the HP200A business
- Leads complex multidimensional projects, transactions, or problem resolution that spans legal, business and functional boundaries (e.g. cross geographies, subject matter areas, jurisdictions, organizations and business models).
- Oversees the alignment of critical resources to high risk areas based on understanding the strategies and goals of HP and the Legal Department.
- Takes full accountability for clients’ legal needs by delegating appropriately, mitigating overall legal risk, optimizing operations, and networking effectively to achieve resolution of matters outside of direct subject matter expertise or responsibility.
- Provide legal training to management and business partners; must possess executive communication skills and presence, ability to present to C-suite level Executives and the Board of Directors, as well as external Executive leaders
- Able to translate complex legal terms and policies into simple, actionable items that HP can execute on
- Anticipate legal and governance trends in turbulent geo-political environment.
- Leads implementation of innovative process and policy improvements, proposals, or changes that align with business needs.
- Exerts influence on external industry counsels, policies, and regulatory bodies in area of specialization.
- Capable of working in a fluid and agile organization structure.
- Handle unique situations with limited or no input senior management
- Advanced university degree in law (e.g. JD or LLB)
- Meets local legal license requirements
- Typically 12-15+ years commercial legal expertise at a law firm or in-house
- Typically 7-10+ years of management experience, with history of progressive responsibility
- Have significant legal and compliance experience at a technology company operating in a heavily regulated space, a mid to large-sized law firm, and/or in government, within a health care environment, including health care regulatory and policy compliance.
- Have experience with intellectual property, clinical research, some commercial litigation management experience, privacy and complex contract review, drafting and negotiation. Experience providing guidance on healthcare-related regulatory compliance matters and putting systems into place to meet applicable requirements, including defining, drafting and implementing policies and procedures is required.
- Experience advising on product launches in a highly regulated space, including advising on legal issues arising from international operations is needed.
- Well-developed level of business experience supporting clients or advising on specialty law matters
- Experience working on problems of diverse complexity and scope
- Experience supporting Business Group or Business unit within a highly complex matrixed organization
- Pragmatic, generalist lawyer, with affinity for IT, contracting, competition, and/ or tender law
- Experience supporting a global organization. Able to understand how laws apply locally as well as globally. Must understand how economic differences in a region affect local opportunities. Must be adept at protecting HP, no matter the local or global environment
- Strong business acumen, must understand the inner workings of the supported Business Group or Business Unit. Able to review legal challenges that the Business Group or Business Unit faces, and can make recommendations to overcome such challenges
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment with limited direction, balance competing priorities, and manage several time-sensitive projects at once.
- Exceptional knowledge of company policies and procedures
- Well-developed competence and experience in negotiating or advising on legal and business matters, or focused competency in particular practice areas
- Capable of prioritizing, working with deadlines and under pressure
- Self-starting, pro-active team-player, with the ability to work independently whenever necessary
- Commercially savvy negotiator; sensible judgment
- Adheres to HP’s leadership values
Leadership Traits– Our Leaders embody the following traits:
Imagine the Future
- Aim for Extraordinary
- Make Bold Moves
- Simplify the Complex
Inspire the Team
- Connect, Coach, and Empower
- Find Meaning in Work
- Partner to Win
Make it Happen
- Anticipate, Learn, Adapt
- Do What Matters
- Amaze the Customer
Location can be flexible for the right candidate.