Gildan is looking for a legal counsel to join its head office team in downtown Montreal. This position is part of a team of four attorneys, including the Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, three paralegals and an administrative assistant. You will report directly to the Director, Legal Affairs, Intellectual Property and Global Marketing, and help support all the divisions of the company on various legal matters related to contracts law, information technology, marketing/regulatory law, at the international level.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements to support various divisions of the company, including the Marketing, IT, eCommerce, Sales and Logistics Departments (including licenses, marketing agreements, services agreements, customs broker agreements, transportation agreements, etc.);
- Provide legal advice to the Marketing, Communications, Merchandising and Sales Departments on all marketing initiatives deployed by the company to promote its products (advertising, packaging, labelling, contest and sweepstakes, social media, promotions, data privacy, etc.) and the company;
- Provide legal advice on product liability files, as well as on regulatory compliance, at the international level;
- Assist the Director, Legal Affairs in managing the international trademark portfolio and advise the company on all intellectual property matters, to ensure the strategic protection and defense of its assets;
- Assist the Director, Legal Affairs, in managing litigation files, in collaboration with the retained law firms; and
- Support the company in special projects.
Profile & Core Competencies
- Have been called to the bar in a Canadian province or in the United States;
- Possess 1-3 years of relevant experience in commercial matters (particularly, contract drafting and negotiating);
- Have experience or strong interest in marketing, regulatory, intellectual property law (strong asset, not a must have);
- Have strong analytical and synthesis skills, and great attention to details;
- Have excellent spoken and written communication skills in English and French, with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels within the organization;
- Demonstrate a strong capacity to work on a large volume of files at the same time and meet tight deadlines in a complex business environment;
- Possess sound business and legal judgement, are resourceful, motivated and dynamic;
- Are recognized for your interpersonal skills, leadership and your ability to work in teams in a changing environment;
- Are available to travel for work occasionally.