Job Title: Legal Counsel
Reports to: Senior VP, Secretary General Counsel
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Rochester, NY
We are looking for a talented and dynamic attorney to join our growing legal team. GateHouse Media’s attorneys are corporate generalists that are involved in all aspects of the business. The attorney will interact with regional and local management, draft and negotiate contracts, resolve disputes, and have opportunity for continued growth and development. The attorney must be able to understand our business and provide strategic legal advice to enable revenue generation while creatively balancing commercial and legal risks.
- Work in partnership with members of legal team to ensure the business adheres to legal obligations.
- Review vendor agreements (Master Service Agreements, Statement of Work, Subpoena’s and more) throughout 500+ publications for proper language and terminology in order to protect the company from litigation.
- Develop purchase agreements for the company’s Merger and Acquisition process – for example, getting purchase agreements ready, real estate, disclosure schedules, etc.
- Review invoices related to settlement and litigation
- Involved in all aspects of litigation including negotiations with outside attorneys, copy right infringements, etc.
- Facilitate as needed with our trade mark attorney for registration on logos to be used
- Draft business related contracts related to IC’s, business agreements, printing agreements, distribution agreements, etc.
- Possessing a background in corporate and/or labor & employment law and/or having litigation experience.
- Significant transactional experience in reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements, including, without limitation master services, licensing, professional services, marketing, non-disclosure and vendor agreements.
- Assist with corporate, M&A, intellectual property, litigation, employment and other legal matters as required.
- Developing an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives with a high level of professionalism and outstanding business judgement.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, privacy, IP laws to ensure an ongoing ability to provide informed legal and business advice.
- Extremely responsive and client-focused; appropriate follow-up and follow-through and ability to communicate effectively with various stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal / teamwork skills
- B.S. Degree or and Juris Doctor from a leading accredited U.S. law school.
- A Bachelor’s Degree Active and in good standing with a state bar and, if necessary, eligible for limited In-House Counsel Licensure.
- 2-4 years of experience practicing law at a regional or national law firm or in house (or a combination of both).
Training / Preferred Technical Skills
- Proficient computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, MS Office, etc.), and Google gmail.
GateHouse Media and all subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and value diversity in our workplace.